Aftermarket Starter motor 218 230

49 Special Deluxe

Hello wise forum.

My 1949 P18 has been converted to 12v at some point in its life. It currently has a 12v Lucas M45G starter. The starter has decided that it doesn't want to play the game any more and is kaput. My question is, is there an 12v aftermarket starter available for the 218 230 that bolts straight in?

Thanks in advance.

I'd be very surprised if there was an aftermarket starter available in the same manner as the various Hi Torque starters that exist for various V8's...........could be wrong but have you tried any local older established auto electricians?......also suggest you try Castle Auto Electrics, CAE in Castlemaine, Vic, 03 5472 1442 and Jim Robinson also in Vic, 03 5461 4619.......just checked my 1946-53 Manual, 1954 Supplement and 1957-62 Chrysler Royal Manuals and the M45G starter is the one listed from 1953 when 12 volts was introduced  into Oz cars, thru to 1962 for all the Oz sixes, which seems like both the 23 and 25 inch engines used the same starter............dunno if this helps........andyd      

Yeah, I'm not too comfy with my 6 volt starter drive slamming the flywheel on 12 volts.  Seems like a '56 12 volt starter is the fix vut are hard to find and $$$$ wdhen found.  Maybe a shop could install 12 volt field coils but I haven't looked into that yet.

1 hour ago, ptwothree said:

Yeah, I'm not too comfy with my 6 volt starter drive slamming the flywheel on 12 volts.  Seems like a '56 12 volt starter is the fix vut are hard to find and $$$$ wdhen found.  Maybe a shop could install 12 volt field coils but I haven't looked into that yet.

Looks like it can be done as described.

A friend with his flat 6 mopar was talking to our local electrical shop- -Modesto Electric, Modesto, Ca. said to him a change 6volt field winding's to 12 volt windings was no issue- -No Problemo.  ?

DJ

• 1 month later...

I am using the original Autolite starter, 6 volt, on my 1948 Plymouth P15 with the 218 flathead motor, which has been converted to 12 volts. Had a problem with the starter clashing into the flywheel teeth. It finally broke the cast iron housing assembly. Fortunately for me, it did not damage the flywheel teeth. I found a NOS housing on Ebay, and reinstalled the starter. Still it whacked when first engaging. I found a fix. 

I replaced the original starter bendix with a bendix from the 1952 thru1954 Plymouth cars. It is called a "follow-thru drive assembly" in my manual. The manual says it can be used on all 1946-1954 Plymouth cars. Installation of the "new" bendix fixed my problems. Don't know if it can be used on a Dodge, but just maybe??? Hope this helps..

• Like 1