overdrive options question

robt

I just shipped my R10G1 overdrive to George Asche  for a rebuild.  And UPS lost it!  I filed a claim and have hoped for someone to find it...no luck! I was sick with grief for a week over it.  I've come to terms with I'm never going to see it again. I didn't opt for additional insurance(big mistake)  They gave me $100 for my loss.   I will keep looking for a decent core at a reasonable price but want to look at other options as well.  In any case I've tried to read through the archives to find other options.  I'm planning on putting it behind my 265 into a 29 Chrysler roadster.  The 883 is an option but I prefer to go with an earlier transmission.  I have 2 ford and 1 Studebaker Overdrives.  I'm sure someone has went this route....just wondering what the issues were?  I know I'll have to deal with the parking brake, spline on the clutch,  pilot bushing, and adapter plate.  I haven't decided on a rear yet so I'll deal with u-joint and drive shaft changes also.  Thanks for any Help

Rob from PA

Looking back ..I should have painted my name and address on the outside of the plywood box that I made and shipped it in.  If someone opens the box they will find a paper with my name and phone number.  They will need a screw gun to open it though.  UPS...communication sucks!  I tried to get in touch with my local branch to go and view there lost and found...you can't even get them on the phone.  The "investigation team" wouldn't even call me.  I called the 800 number twice a day for 10 days...no luck...  I had read that they auction off undeliverable packages..I don't know if it is true or not.  I tried to find out when and where they do this...and again....they wouldn't deny or confirm this.   I'm just hoping that by some luck someone somewhere opens it and contacts me.     

I keep scouring the web to find another  that isn't priced out of my budget.  

Rob

Can they be sued for the loss??

Check E Bay prices. Big $$ when available. To show examples of the the value of Their loss??

I  rebuilt two R-10 G-1's a few years back. After going through both, I  a sold one. Price included the box added the cost to ship and Insurance for the final sale price. Had no problems with shipping with FedEx, But- -  Luck?  Weighted  in at 125 lbs. in box.  Was sent from Nor-Cal to N.C.

While the price was below 1K, the insurance was not very expensive.  NO I do Not have another!  ?

At last a lesson for all of us shipping hard to replace good old car parts, Insurance is cheap compared to finding another one.  Value the insurance Very high- it only cost very little extra. Just my opinion.

Very, very sorry for your situation!!  ☹️

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add part value ,high.

can they be sued...you can sue anybody for anything...can you win...…?????????...……….the default insurance is guaranteed set amount.....you are responsible for determining the value and paying for that value....while it is a "close the barn door late" scenario....it's one that you will likely never forget.....I feel your pain but their posting rules are firm...

Tim I do agree with you, I was just Musing?

Cost  would be to much to sue over the value anyway, maybe the threat of it will get them off their asses and locate the trans.!

Hoping for the best, Yes!

Tough pill to swallow, again sorry!

DJ

I ship a lot of expensive stuff in my business - like DJ, I always buy the extra insurance.  I mostly use FedEx now as they're cheaper.  I did have a couple of damage claims with UPS, but even when I had the stuff double boxed (w/ more packaging between), they still refused payment.  But the hardware store where I shipped it from had their own insurance, which paid for the damages.  Since then I've been told that if a package is insured for $1,000.00 or more, it is handled by hand, instead of going on the over-head conveyors.  (They also said that if a box gets jammed against one of the conveyor supports and stops everything behind it, they have long poles they use to just shove it off the line, and it falls to the floor.)

Important costly items I wrap and tape  name.address and phone # on the item...photograph it at all stages of packing ...right up to it being shipped and Insure it for more than it's worth.

You might get lucky and it might... maybe show up but someone probably stole it.

Did you use your tracking number to follow its process? You can get a detailed report of its travels including its last known whereabouts and its next destination. That is not a small package that would just be kicked around with ease. Keep after them and contact customer support via phone, email, US mail and anything else you can think of. Someone knows something about its whereabouts.

4 hours ago, Silverdome said:

Did you use your tracking number to follow its process? You can get a detailed report of its travels including its last known whereabouts and its next destination. That is not a small package that would just be kicked around with ease. Keep after them and contact customer support via phone, email, US mail and anything else you can think of. Someone knows something about its whereabouts.

My  experiences with UPS have not been good. 

Lack of customer service, and once they made that 100buck payout, they will probably not respond to any query as they have closed the case.

I changed to Fedex and have had only one out of many shipments with an issue.  They cracked a well packed stained glass window, but paid off quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the issues I have seen if you use a "UPS Store". The stores are not really UPS and if you file a claim it is the store that actually is "the shipper" and not you.  You have to get the store to pay you the insurance.  UPS will not cut you the check.

I always insure items that a hard to replace for the cost as if it was an NOS item that went on ebay. When I shipped some hard to get trans around, I put $5K on them. Wood crate them, and engrave my phone number of the case!

Save it for your next project??

Just  a maybe??  ?

DJ