1940 Plymouth clutch pedal

40coupe

New to page and new to hot rods period. I do muscle cars so I don’t know much about these cars. I have a 1940 Plymouth business coupe I just got it’s been highly modified already. Has a big block Chevy, Muncie 4 speed and a 12 bolt Camaro rear end. My question is has anyone used the factory clutch pedal assembly with a more modern clutch for the 4 speed? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

O/k....I'm a hotrodder......... so I'll ask the question...........its got a BB Chev& Muncie so what sort of clutch setup is there at present?..............as a general rule I'd have thought that it would have the chev bellhousing/scattershield with the attendant flywheel and clutch which in most cases would be a hydraulic clutch......the stock mopar clutch and pedal assembly is a mechanical setup and whilst in theory would be possible to use but I'd think it would be a PITA........I speak from experience here as yrs ago I DID adapt the mechanical clutch setup to an Oz Chrysler 6. 3 speed manual powered 1940 Dodge that the owner wanted a mechanical clutch for................it worked but it was a PITA and as it was no love job the owner paid accordingly...........so WHY do you want a mechanical clutch using the original mopar pedal assembly.....or do you want to adapt a hydraulic clutch master cylinder to the stock mopar pedal assembly instead?.............anyway how about a pic?...........heres one of my Oz 1940 Dodge Sedan, I've had it since 1971 & its been a hotrod since 1973, 318 Poly, etc.......regards from Oz.........Andy Douglas        

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Andydodge

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this car as a abandoned project so there’s a lot already done and a lot that needs done. Anyways I wanted to use the factory clutch pedal with the gm mechanical clutch. However I bolted the pedal assembly in tonight and the brake pedal hits the Bellhousing so that idea won’t work. Wondering if aftermarket firewall mounted pedals would work? It’s a crappy pic but the only one I have right now. That’s before I got it. 

DB25D2A0-D0E2-410D-AEC2-085D465CB279.jpeg

What I'd do would be to get and mount the correct BB Chev slave cylinder to the bellhousing, then see what clutch master cylinder options are available and whether its possible to mount/adapt this master cylinder to the stock pedal setup........taking into account that a hose connecting the two can be made up if a stock style one is too short or has the wrong fittings or exits the wrong way........an aftermarket pedals assembly should work, just have to make sure that the pedal assembly is securely mounted to the firewall and the firewall is braced and the dash as well.......my car whilst an auto has a 63 Chev auto pedal assembly that I modified to fit the dash, on the firewall I welded in 14 gauge metal then modified the firewall end of the pedal assembly and it bolts to the strengthened firewall, the booster bolts to this on the engine side.......there are various aftermarket pedal assemblies available thru places like Jegs, Speedway Motors and hot rod shops, I have seen a number of setups that "hide" the master cylinders at 90 degrees to the pedals underneath the cowl......personally I think that these would be a PITA as access is very limited............anyway have attached a pic showing the booster on my car......this is an old pic taken a few yrs ago but shows the firewall side....& yep, its RHD............dunno if any of this helps.......lol..........andyd    

P1000417.JPG