Front Motor Mount!

Cold Blue

I thought I had seen it all - but no! I removed the front motor mount today. I was very curious as to what the motor mount cushion would look like. It turns out that it was a piece of radiator hose, flattened, with washers on each side, and thru bolted to the motor mount. I had to cut the nuts off the thru bolts as they would just spin when I tried to remove them. Oh my goodness......for shame. I am straightening things out left and right....one day, she will be right.

DSC01827.jpg

When some one had to replace the front motor mount they probably did not know where to find a replacement. Might have even gone to a Mopar dealership but they had no idea either. so they did the best that they could do.

So now go get the correct rubber replacement motor mount.  You will definitely see and feel a difference because the enigine should run smoother because of the new motor mount.

Also check the upper and lower motor mounts. If the front was gone then the rear will need to be replaced.

Rich Hartung

Desoto - I have a new (and correct!) motor mount cushion on its way; scheduled to be delivered today. I have checked the rear motor mount rubbers and they look good. I think I will check them again as I am kinda snakebit right now. I think she will run much better, as the front of the motor was at least an inch and a half, maybe more, lower than it was supposed to be; its gotta help in the drivetrain alignment. This all came about because I was going to replace the fan belt, but the harmonic balancer was so close to the frame cross member that I could not remove the fan belt. That led me to believe that something was amiss. Sure 'nuff, when I removed the fan and t'stat housing, I saw the problem....

cold blue:  you will find these kind of issues as you get to know more details about your car. The fun part is learning what is incorrect and then correcting the issue.  You get to know your car and this helps when ever you are on the road and have an issue.  You know what has been done by you and helps to educate you about your car.  I have a lot of cross reference catalogs regarding parts and electrical components that have been scanned onto CD's.

I have eliminated the paper catalogs and everything is on electronic files.

Have been doing this for 30+ years you gain a lot of knowledge and every time I open a file I learn something new.

Rich Hartung 

Rich - Yes, I so enjoy repairing things on my '48. I just finished repairing the heater. That was really fun! The defroster cable would not work; turns out the shaft was bent just behind the knob, which made it inoperable. The heater coil fins were clogged full of lint and dust. The defroster gate would barely rotate. The old 6 volt fan motor needed a lube job. The round defroster ducts were not even connected to the diffusers.

Next on the list is repairing the original tube AM radio. I have new capacitors to replace the old paper and wax ones, and a 12volt to 6volt reducer. I am excited to hopefully hear the old radio speak again!  Best regards..Blue

• Like 1

I’ve had two aftermarket front mounts in my hands. Neither fit properly.  Might need to widen the holes in the mount.....   Hopefully it fits right off!!

Edited by thebeebe5

30 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

I’ve had two aftermarket front mounts in my hands. Neither fit properly.  Might need to widen the holes in the mount.....   Hopefully it fits right off!!

Boy I hope so! I am going to have to do just a little prying on the motor, as I could see that the motor was very slightly off to one side. That homemade motor mount cushion appears to have been installed where the motor just so happened to be....