Where to connect battery ground cable?

Cold Blue

Straightening out a lot of issues on my '48 Plymouth. Many things by previous owners were poorly done. I am in the process of Installing a new (and correct) front motor mount cushion. Another issue I wish to correct is the connection point of the ground cable from the battery to the engine. Currently, as shown in the picture, it is under a head bolt. I do not think that is a good place for it, at all. It may provide a good ground, but I don't like the appearance, and I really don't like the torquing of a head bolt with the cable under it. Where was it connected from the factory?  Anyone know? Thanks in advance!  Blue.

DSC01826.jpg

I had to use single 0 gage cable for the positive ground connection to the generator bracket so that I had enough flexability to run it in the space provided. My other cables, battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter I used double 0 gage. It made an unbelievable amount of difference in the cranking speed compared to the old cables. Some were original and well weathered.

Edited by Silverdome

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Don, did you leave the solenoid there when you installed the engine into the car? 

??

When I had my battery cables made I specified a 00 lug that went to a starter mounting bolt, and a pair of size 2 jumpers that went to a bolt on the frame and another bolt on the body.  Guaranteed to have ground paths!

Marty

• Like 1