extra parts

derbydad276

The 53 Coronet I recently purchased comes with a ton a spare parts that I will probably never need ...

Murphy's Law would be I will need them a month after I sell or give them away ...

I've looked on the sale board on here and there isn't much on it ... things sell that quick or ???

advice needed  I have front and rear bumpers ,hood,decklid,axle, front suspension, dash.... all too large / heavy to ship easily 

Mostly I have found a few bits about old car parts.

If big and or heavy, it'll sit a long time even for free since no one wants to drive up to get it.   After a few months, I take the heavies (engine blocks, cranks, cams, rods, transmissions, wheels/axles/drums) to the recycler for scrap price. 

If its trim, it'll likely sell but they'll want it cheeper regardless of how you price it.

If its glass, throw it away, no one wants it and it invariably breaks in shipment.

Use what you need.  Focus sale or gifting on your local area. 

In 20 years I had one guy out of town come to get parts.....he drove from NY to NC to get $300 worth of fenders that would have cost $600 to ship (bulky, not heavy).   All the rest went either to local fellas (local as in in-state) and/or to the recycler.  If you can't sell it cheep or give it away in a year, no one wants it.

And now that I've mentioned the junk man, I spect the flames will begin!  :)

Edited by Sharps40

6 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

It would help everyone to know how far away you are from them.....you don't need to give a street address or even a city.....county and state would be fine.

michigan 48188

I drive for a partner of Greyhound .... I see many classic body parts shiped by Greyhound  from what I hear its actually reasonable

• Like 1

I’ve also been a victim of Murphy’s Law – I’ve needed something a month or two after I’ve gotten rid of it. I’ll hang onto parts for a year or 2, and if I haven’t been able to sell/trade/gift it, out it goes. There’s quite abit of stuff (what I tho’t was good, usable stuff . . .) in the landfill. Do I feel bad about these items not being used by someone else??? Nope, I’m not in the junk yard business, and I’m not a warehouse for others. If they don’t want to come and get it, or pay the shipping, then they really didn’t need it that badly.

• Like 2