33 DODGE SLOPPY STEERING

sactownog

Had my steering box rebuilt, got it back in the car, got the steering wheel straight and the new steering ball joints installed. 

Took the car on the 1st drive in 4 months, and I seem to have about 1/4 turn slop in the steering (its fooking scarry) 

HOW DO I FIX THIS? 

20 minutes ago, greg g said:

Look for loose warn parts from the box out to the wheels on both sides.  Is the box tight against the frame?  The later cars had a rubber isolating pad that fwould get squished with age.  Are the earlier cars so equipt?

+1 on this. If you observe the steering parts while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth you should be able to see areas where there are slop.

Since the box has been rebuilt and new "ball joints" (I assume tie rod ends) have been fitted I assume the wear must be elsewhere.

King pins can be a big contributor to this. Also, the '33 had a pretty thin walled drag link and the key shaped area were the pitman arm from the steering box goes in is often very worn and will definitely cause this issue. Rare Parts has a replacement drag link made of a bit heavier weight material than the original which I highly recommend.

For '33 the box is directly bolted to the frame, no rubber isolators to get squished. However, it occurs to me that the rebuilt box may not have been adjusted, so you may want to check that too.

I had the steering box rebuilt, replaced the drag link and put new tie rod ends on. All is new except the kingpins. 

However before the box was removed and rebuilt, the car did not have this much play in steering. I have read that there is an adjustment screw on the gear box I can try. 

I am just not familiar with how much to turn, but I guess I will play with it and see what can be done.

I'm not sure on your '33 but this post 

is very informative. Pay particular attention to post #7 it seems to be right on the money. I don't believe Grey Beard is with us anymore but he left us some great information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silverdome said:

I'm not sure on your '33 but this post 

is very informative. Pay particular attention to post #7 it seems to be right on the money. I don't believe Grey Beard is with us anymore but he left us some great information.

I will have to try some of these tricks, seems like I should be able to get the slack out of the steering. 

3 hours ago, sactownog said:

I will have to try some of these tricks, seems like I should be able to get the slack out of the steering. 

I'm pretty sure your steering box is different from the one on that thread. I suspect that this will be more useful for you: https://www.ply33.com/Repair/steering

Todd........even tho I have never had a 1933 Plymouth I was curious enough to have a look and its good to learn something new ..........I have never heard the idea of twisting the steering column jacket as part of a steering adjustment...........am impressed........thanks........andyd.

Tried to adjust the box last night, the top bolt there was no adjustment available, side bolt we adjusted and made no difference. 

we unscrewed the bottom 4 bolts about 3 turns to try and get some more adjustment out of top bolt, no luck. 

I turn wheel and feel the movement in the box itself. I think my next step is take out the steering box and send back to get serviced again. 

currently wishing for power steering. 

Was your steering box like the one TodFitch showed? If so, did you follow the instructions exactly and in order? If yes, then you will probably have to send it back or find another shop that is familiar with this type of box.

Curious sactownog,

What type of front suspension do you have??

Mopar was developing and trying many different systems in the 30's, hence the question,

Thanks, DJ

Edited by DJ194950
spelling

14 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Curious sactownog,

Mopar was developing and trying many different systems in the 30's, hence the question,

Thanks, DJ

steering box/pitman arm/drag link/

15 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Is it a tube front axle with leaf springs? That's what my brothers '33 Plymouth has. My '34 Dodge's have independent with coil springs.

3 hours ago, Silverdome said:

Is it a tube front axle with leaf springs? That's what my brothers '33 Plymouth has. My '34 Dodge's have independent with coil springs.

'32 (and earlier) Plymouths had an I beam front axle.

'33 Plymouths had a tubular front axle

'34 PE and PF and independent front suspension, 34 PG had I beam front axle

'35-38 All models had I beam front axles

'39 and up had independent front suspension

6 hours ago, sactownog said:

steering box/pitman arm/drag link/

I was possibly leading up that if you had the dual spring solid axle type to add what a friend did on his 33 Plymouth Bus. Cpe. 30+ years ago.

He added a manual R&P steering mounted to the axle with a slip joint steer shaft and at least one?  u-joint with a newer steer column.

He still has the car now almost exclusively a race car with a blown 340 that has run in the high 12 seconds in a quarter with that steering  so I guess it still works good!

Bad part is I seldom hook up with him anymore.

Mounting a power steer pump mount and drive pulley set up on the flat 6 seems to me to be the hardest part of adding a R&P power steer to your car but sure if you want it bad enough it can be done!!  ?  I'm sure an internet search on  R&P setups on solid axles will have much to look at.

DJ

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

I was possibly leading up that if you had the dual spring solid axle type to add what a friend did on his 33 Plymouth Bus. Cpe. 30+ years ago.

He added a manual R&P steering mounted to the axle with a slip joint steer shaft and at least one?  u-joint with a newer steer column.

He still has the car now almost exclusively a race car with a blown 340 that has run in the high 12 seconds in a quarter with that steering  so I guess it still works good!

Bad part is I seldom hook up with him anymore.

Mounting a power steer pump mount and drive pulley set up on the flat 6 seems to me to be the hardest part of adding a R&P power steer to your car but sure if you want it bad enough it can be done!!  ?  I'm sure an internet search on  R&P setups on solid axles will have much to look at.

DJ

he set up an R&P on a non power steering vehicle. is that possible? not sure how that would work. but sounds great. the power steering idea I have thought about, talked to a shop and they saiad they can do it, but never called back with a price. 

at this point, I just want the stock steering to work before I go modifying things like crazy otherwise, I might as well full customer the whole dang car. so the steering was not bad, it just needs to be adjusted and I am not the best at figuring that out. we tried to adjust it but there was no room to adjust. guess I will be sending it back in next week for the 3rd rebuild. shitty situation, should have just left it alone. 

• Like 1