P15 Front motor mount cushion

Cold Blue

I have removed the water pump and T'stat housing to clean them up. Then I looked at the front motor mount cushion, and it appears to be some sort of cushioning wrapped in heavy duty fabric. I can see a bit of the fabric sticking out at one corner. (See the attached pic) And it appears to be much thinner than the solid rubber motor mount replacement cushions for sale. Has anyone seen a front mount cushion like this? Should I replace it? I think I should...

I think I can support the motor on a jack, unbolt the 4 motor mount bottom bolts, remove the small nuts that hold the cushion in place, then jack up the engine enough to remove the motor mount and cushion in one piece. Right?  

DSC01825.jpg

Looks like that one has been adulterated by a previous owner.  The stock system is rubber bonded to the metal.  They are available on eBay or thru the vendors listed in the resource section.  When I did my engine 12 years ago there were 15 to 20 bucks depending on your source.  Probably higher now.

Edited by greg g

Thanks guys! I just ordered a new motor mount cushion. It'll be here Friday. A new cushion was 25 bucks including shipping. Looks like I'll be doin' some wrenching tomorrow....I am very interested in seeing what the old one looks like when I get it out...I'll post a pic.

And while you are at it I'd check the rear mounts.......they are attached on either side of the bellhousing, and can get very soft & spongy if they get oil soaked and can affect the gearshift adjustments if bad enough..........put a block of wood between the sump & jack to protect the sump................regards from Oz.........andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

9 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

And while you are at it I'd check the rear mounts.......they are attached on either side of the bellhousing, and can get very soft & spongy if they get oil soaked and can affect the gearshift adjustments if bad enough..........put a block of wood between the sump & jack to protect the sump................regards from Oz.........andyd 

Will do - I got a piece of 2x4 that'll work just fine to protect the oil pan.  I have checked the rear mounts - they look good. Thanks Andy!