Rustoleum

randroid

Gents,

Last year there was posted a thread about painting a car with Rustoleum and a roller, and the concept intrigued me so I saved it for reference. I have two projects going at the moment, my '48 P-15 and a '67 VW Bug, and one day I noticed that, except for the extra set of door and the shape of the nose, they look remarkably alike. The chrome (stainless steel) is positioned the same, they both have the same rear windows, etc., so I thought I'd paint them the same color because they both are in need of paint. Unfortunately my computer crashed and I needed to format the HD, which means I lost the original info.

Does anybody have a copy of that thread or a link to where I might find the original? I mentioned the technique on a forum at TheSamba.com (a site very much like this one but for VW's) and an interest was sparked but I've been able to give very little info to them on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Randy

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Rustoleum in the spray cans is amazingly durable! When I had the 49 Ford pickup I drove it to work daily. So I restored it a fender at a time by taking them off, repairing the rust and painting with spray rustoleum. The process took several years ( I also did the bed, naturally) but at the end of that time all of the rustoleum painted stuff looked at good as when I sprayed it on! Not exactly show quality, but good enough to protect until I could afford a better job.

Heres a dash from a 48 Chrys I did using the roller method and Tremclad paint(Canadian rustoleum), I only sanded the rusty dash a bit before applying 6 thin coats of paint, with a 4 inch foam roller, and the paint thinned by about 20 % with mineral spirits, apllied very thin with wet sanding in between every 2nd coat and polishiing at the end with auto polish. I used no buffing wheel, it would have come out 10 times better if I had, this paint is very tough and does not scratch or marr very easily. The guy who started this thread, is from Toronto Canada and has painted his 73 VW beetle and his 69 Charger using this method with $30.00 a gallon Tremclad paint. Hey, even if it doesn't pan out you can just sand it off and paint over, your out what maybe $50.00 and your time. With practice you can do a repsectable paint job, as I have seen it done, I know it works....................Fred