Steering Box Rubber Insulators

Richard Cope

Good morning,

Going to be rebuilding the front suspensions in my 39 Ply. Business Coupe and at that time want to replace the rubber insulators between the frame and steering box.  The two part #s are 676513 (inner) and 676514 (outer), unfortunately haven't been able to locate a supplier for these parts, does anyone know of a source?  Steel Rubber and Andy Berbaum sell pads for a 40 Ply., this would be part numbers 684980 and 68498.  From the photos that Steel provides on internet it appears that the part numbers are very similar to those used with the 39.  Has anyone had any experience with using the rubber pads for a 40 Ply. on a 39 Ply?

Thank you in advance for your help.  Regards, Richard

I don't suppose that you have yours off the car and can post a pic?........or even a pic of the steering box and/or the reinforcing plate thats on the outside of the chassis to get an idea of how different the 39 to 40's are ......I know that the Isolators are the same from 1940 to 48 possibly to 54......I've seen them on ebay every so often..........I replaced them on the 41 Plymouth I had but that was 7-8 yrs ago...........got them from AB's I think.......andyd   

I replaced the isolators on my "48 Special Deluxe about 2 weeks ago. I ordered them from from Andy Bernbaum. I am pleased with them. Very easy to install too. My old ones were hard as a rock and squished almost flat....Maybe give Andy a call and see if he's got them for a 39??

Andy doesn't have the 39 Ply. listed, however will be giving him a call.  I am hopeful that the 40 model part # will work for both use the same backing plate (676515) on outside of chassis, however different steering boxes.   It would seem that if the holes are in the same locations on the backing plates, holes in steering box will align.  I have an uninstalled NOS steering box and one piece of rubber insulation from a long gone part car, see attached.  Not sure if this rubber was from the inside or outside of the frame.   From these hopefully will be able to determine if the 40 part # will work before disassembling steering from car or keep looking for a supplier.  

Regards,

1.png

2.png

3.png

Richard - the isolators I installed on my "48 look exactly like the ones pictured. Three pads with bolt holes in them, with one of them having rubber projections at the bolt holes to accept a steel "washer" with an upturned lip on it.  Visually, they look the same. Of course, it's the dimensions of the isolators that matter...

Richard.........I also agree with what Blue said, yours pictured look almost identical to the ones I got from AB, funny thing is back in the late 70's I was working on my ex 1940 Dodge Coupe for the new owner and I went to the local mopar dealer and asked whether they had any of the isolators...gave them the part number that was still readable on the old soft as jelly parts and they had 3 pairs still on the shelf...........from memory they were less than $10 Aust each so I bought the lot.........used the pair I needed and sold the other 2 pairs at the next swap meet.........installing them makes a huge difference to the steering of the cars..........andyd. 

I spoke with Andy this morning, unfortunately he feels that the rubber insulator will not work as the sections with cushions are not located in the correct location.   I ordered a set, to see if possible they can be made to work.  If anyone with a 39 Ply. has came up with a solution would appreciate if you would pass on.   I have one section of rubber, if I can located the other section will try to locate a supplier that will replicate.   Not going to remove the ones on my car at this time, don't want to take the chance of damaging them.

Regards

I had my mechanic sort out the steering on my 1939 Plymouth touring sedan. I had new rubber insulators (either from AB or RMP)  that he installed. When I got the car back the steering was still too loose. I took it back, he removed the insulators and it now works just fine. YMMV.

Peter

Richard..........have you compared the isolator from the parts car with whats on your car at present as the parts car one pictured doesn't look too bad actually...........and as for bolting everything up without the isolators as Petes mechanic has done I would hope that Petes mechanic has done something about the gap in the assembly when the rubber isolators are not used as they fill a gap.........if larger diameter steel crush tubes were installed to take up the gap then o/k...........Pete, how did your mechanic solve this problem?.................andyd 

Thank everyone for your replies, unfortunately the rubber that I have from the parts car is as hard as a rock and brittle.  Expect to have the one that I ordered from Andy this week and will be able to compare the differences.   Not sure if the piece of rubber that I have goes on the outside or inside of the frame, hopefully when I receive the ones from Andy will be able to tell.  If the ones from Andy are way off, going to try to locate a complete pair of originals and try to find a supplier to reproduce a few.  Steel Rubber did some parts for me years ago and they are now in their catalogue, unfortunately it is a slow process therefore can't use the ones in the car.

Regards,

I received the rubber steering box insulators from Andy for the 40 Ply.  They have the same shapes and holes line up with the 39 insulator, however that is about it.  The three rubber projections around the bolt holes are on the opposite side and the 1940 insulator has three heavy upraised pads on one side, whereas the 39 has pads on both sides that are less thick.   I spoke with Chris, which also has a 39 Py.  He indicated that he would consider having insulators made for the 39 Ply if he had good original to copy from.  I have an original for one side as seen in the earlier photo, believe this goes on the inside of the frame between the steering box.  Does anyone have an extra original that would go on the outside of the frame that they would be willing to share so that we can get copies made.  Perhaps I should put in the classified section so that more individuals would see.

Regards,

Rich:  I have a 39 desoto that has the original pads for the steering box on the car.  I have never seen any of these old pads even at Hershey.  But if you canget Andy to make up these pads I also would be interested in a set. I know they might not be cheap but if no one has them then we have to pay the going price.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com