Oil Pump Plate Leak - 48 Plymouth 218

Cold Blue

I have an oil leak coming from around the oil pump cover plate. I have looked at previous posts concerning this. One opinion was that there should be no gasket; only tightening the bolts is required. Another post said that there is a gasket, a round one, on the kinda square oil pump plate. That seems odd to me. My manual says there is a gasket. I found one on Ebay, an NOS, and it is on it way. The gasket looks like it is about 1/8" thick, and is circular. Looking at the plate to pump housing interface, I cannot see any gasket now, at all. They are tight to each other. Is there a recess in the pump housing that accepts this "round" gasket, like an "O ring"? If it indeed does not have a gasket, how do you stop it from leaking? The bolts are nice and tight. I was going to remove the housing plate, but I am hesitant. If I remove it, will I have to prime the oil pump again? (My first time removing this plate...) Anyone have experience in this?  Thanks!

Yes, there is a groove in the oil pump housing for a sealing ring. Red arrow in the picture below.

I also had a slight oil leak there. The original ring had a cut. I first put in a standard O-ring but to my own surprise this didn`t seal as expected.

Gladly I found a spare oil pump cover sealing ring in my gasket collection which has got a rectangular profile.

I additionally applied a thin amount sealant to the area to the flat surface where the 5 bolt holes are located.Blue arrow.

Voir là , no leak anymore.

There are a lot of posts regarding priming. Maybe you will do a keyword search.

I personally like the idea to fill the pump with Vaseline which has been previously posted anywhere here ...

oil-pump-sealing.jpg.68fe1b2e375ee6877d9b7bfcceb3db19.jpg