Witch hub for disk brakes?

CreepShowCustom

So I’m body off the frame at this point on my 50 Deluxe. I’m swapping out the rear end with disk and would like to do the front. I know there’s a ton of kits out there but I do all my own fabrication. I’m a junk yard dog in a sense.

does anyone know what hub or rotor hub is used on the stock spindle. Any help would be great thx. 

most all companies are marketing kits that use rotors with integral hubs...these will allow use on the original spindle with often the use of a machined sleeve or spacer as part of the install kit.  Ask any company that you are entertaining to purchase kit as to the details and instructions up front on their installation.  As stated, above, a kit or two may have special machined hubs in the kit allowing the use of top hat rotors...that in long term often makes repair easier and keeps cost of down the road maintenance and replacement purchases less expensive. though you may pay a few dollars more in the beginning.  

As in all things, do read up on the subject....there are plenty of good threads on this forum to entertain and inform you just by doing a search...the search feature will eliminate the time involved waiting on that one person who feels like typing out a long narrative...

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 8:27 AM, martybose said:

Almost all of the available kits use the stock hub, I think that ECI is the only one that replaces the hub with a new aluminum one.

Marty

Thx for the feedback. I’m not using a kit. I’m making everything from scratch my only hickup is the hub/rotor

On 2/20/2019 at 6:04 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

most all companies are marketing kits that use rotors with integral hubs...these will allow use on the original spindle with often the use of a machined sleeve or spacer as part of the install kit.  Ask any company that you are entertaining to purchase kit as to the details and instructions up front on their installation.  As stated, above, a kit or two may have special machined hubs in the kit allowing the use of top hat rotors...that in long term often makes repair easier and keeps cost of down the road maintenance and replacement purchases less expensive. though you may pay a few dollars more in the beginning.  

As in all things, do read up on the subject....there are plenty of good threads on this forum to entertain and inform you just by doing a search...the search feature will eliminate the time involved waiting on that one person who feels like typing out a long narrative...

Thx. Just curious if anyone has a part number from any of the kits. I’m doing a budget build and making as many parts as I can. 

I think there is a post somewhere that details using a stock hub, less drum with an Explorer disk hat bolted on.  I'll look some more for that.

found it: 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/p15-d24-to-95-2001-explorer-disk-conversion.702258/page-2

Edited by kencombs

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, CreepShowCustom said:

Thx for the feedback. I’m not using a kit. I’m making everything from scratch my only hickup is the hub/rotor

I did a little research a few years ago.   My notes have using my stock Plymouth hub, and a Explore rotor, I think around a 2000 model, $29.

I do not know if the front or rear rotor was in my research.

I have a diagram of a caliper bracket, to use a Explore caliper also.    I never did complete this setup, so I do not know if anything is correct.

89 Dakota looked to be a possible fit also.

004.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, CreepShowCustom said:

So I’m body off the frame at this point on my 50 Deluxe. I’m swapping out the rear end with disk and would like to do the front. I know there’s a ton of kits out there but I do all my own fabrication. I’m a junk yard dog in a sense.

does anyone know what hub or rotor hub is used on the stock spindle. Any help would be great thx. 

What rearend are you using for you swap out?     I installed a Ranger rear 3.73.       It works great with drum brakes, but the rear is too narrow, so had to use a spacer, and 3.73 is a little low for 1st gear.     I have a Jeep XJ 3.55  drum brake 1998 I hope to swap too.....

See Post

1 hour ago, Robert Horne said:

I did a little research a few years ago.   My notes have using my stock Plymouth hub, and a Explore rotor, I think around a 2000 model, $29.

I do not know if the front or rear rotor was in my research.

I have a diagram of a caliper bracket, to use a Explore caliper also.    I never did complete this setup, so I do not know if anything is correct.

89 Dakota looked to be a possible fit also.

see post 6 above.