E-brake band relining

homer41

I am relining my E-brake band and have some questions. The new lining is not drilled and countersunk. Is halfway through the thickness enough countersink?  I was thinking of clamping the new lining to the band and drilling it, then taking it apart to countersink it. Does this sound like a reasonable plan ? Should the rivets be a snug fit or should they have a slight bit of play to allow flexing? Any thoughts about a countersink tool for this job?  Dave

Brake linings require special brake lining Rivets to do it right.....

They have a special shaped countersunk rivet head... a # 4-4.5 would probably be the one you need...but you need to figure it out if you rivet.

Hansen Rivet & Supply has millions of rivets including brake and star burst clutch rivets.

• Like 1

Rivets came with the lining, I am open to doing this the best most efficient way, I was looking for a countersink that cut a basically square bottom hole instead on an angled hole, does one exist?  If the adhesive is the best I will lean in that direction.   Dave

I'd do rivets my self....special hot glue is how the brake shops bond them.. otherwise the lining could De-bond with moisture, oil and time... rivets never let a lining come loose.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200037

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

17 hours ago, homer41 said:

Rivets came with the lining, I am open to doing this the best most efficient way, I was looking for a countersink that cut a basically square bottom hole instead on an angled hole, does one exist?  If the adhesive is the best I will lean in that direction.   Dave

An end mill of the correct diameter will cut the flat bottomed hole.  Works best in a drill press, rather than hand held.  Much easier to control the depth.  like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-4-diameter-CARBIDE-4-flute-End-mill-endmill-USA-120-4250/161963505298?epid=3019118838&hash=item25b5c6f692:g:svYAAOSwZ1lWgmjn:sc:USPSFirstClass!74017!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

may need large diameter but they are available also.

Today was a good day! I went down to a friends machine shop and asked one of the machinests what he used for brake riveting, he showed me what he used, a centering drill ground down and cut short. He gave me an old one and I took it and put it in my drill press and took my right angle grinder with super thin cutoff wheel and ground the cutting surface flat. Tested it on a piece of lining and got the correct depth then ground off the remaining length of the center, tested again and works great. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help. Dave