Newbie question: how to remove windshield and back window

furby714

Never had to to what you talk about but my 1946-54 Plymouth repair manual does cover both removals of these glass parts very well with word descriptions and a good amount of pictures.

Need to buy a repair manual. Mine is one of the reprints. Cost about $35 a few years ago. Found on E Bay. Very helpful on many occasions.

Best I can do to help.

DJ

IF your glass is good and you are only wishing to pull for body work and go back with a new rubber seal...I highly recommend that you cut the outer lip of the glass channel to the pinch weld....these old seal get hard as rock with age and there is no give to them to try to remove the glass without cutting the seal.  

As Plymouthy has said, its best to cut the rubber around the outside which will allow you to lift the glass from the rubber channel......after cutting the rubber you may find that it helps to spray a liitle WD40 or similar around the channel and glass edge as this will seep into the channel remains and help to loosen the glass in whats left of the rubber channel, also depending on whether the rubber has had any sealer or mastic used to help seal the rubber in the body you may have to gently cut thru that ...........to cut the rubber I use what I think you guys call a "box cutter", a cheap throwaway knife with a blade that can be snapped off every 1/2" or so.........this type of knife allows you to hold the blade close to the rubber channel and is sharp enough to cut the rubber cleanly.........now all this assumes that you are not intending to reuse the rubber seal, although I think that the shop manuals refer to doing just that but I'd think that was when the cars were quite new and a broken windscreen replacement would have been a common job..............the attached pic is of my car, a 1940 Dodge when we decided to replace the old front & rear windscreen rubbers, they had been there since about 1975 when I had a vinyl roof put on the car due to a few flat spots I couldn't beat out .....anyway the rubber had become quite hard plus there were a few small rust bubbles so the vinyl top came off.........in this pic you can see how the upper part of the rubber has been cut away showing the body edge however the lower part on the cowl is still uncut..........once this was cut and some WD40 squirted around the edge of the glass, the rubber and glass came free from the body and was removed from the inside in my cars case..........the rear window was done in the same manner..............I hope this helps...........I would strongly suggest a couple of things tho'.......one, make sure you have the replacement windscreen rubber in your hand to check that its the right style, size, etc BEFORE cutting the old rubber and two, have a friend on hand to help, glass doesn't bend too well and a second pair of hands is a good insurance policy and also after everything is finished it helps to have another set of hands to down a couple of beers to go over how well it was done.............lol...........regards from Oz........Andy Douglas.         

P1000362.JPG

This is so weird...I just took mine out today. I also agree Plymouth Adams that the best way is to cut the rubber. Mine has the Reveal Molding and were broken and were to be replaced so I just gave them some love with a hammer. I have not started my interior yet...

I also VERY MUCH agree that is a 2 man job putting them back in. There are a number of resources for glass but Steele Gaskets seem to be the best.

Best of luck!!!