exhaust damper

homer41

I am putting a 1953 218 in my 41 and it is now in the machine shop. I have the intake/exhaust manifolds apart and the damper  is frozen. I see Andy Bernbaum has a repair kit for it, do you think it is worth rebuilding or just leave it out?  Dave

My manifolds were separated when I got my truck, and the heat riser flap was also seized in the horizontal position. In hind side I should have left it like it was, but I applied a bit of heat to the edges, over the pin, and it freed right up. I then put a spring kit from Bernbaum on it and it never worked right.

If you cut it off you'll need to make a block off plate to keep the hot exhaust gasses from heating the bottom of the intake. You'd be better off locking it in the horizontal position.

If you apply heat where the arrow points, on both sides, it will likely free up. Then you could tack weld it in the position that mine was in when I took this picture. Or replace the spring, if needed, and have a working heat riser.

P9290523.JPG.72f0973dee6d837d813ea76ed296585a.JPG

Edited by Merle Coggins

I'd want a heat riser in Alaska.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I'd want a heat riser in Alaska.

Yes, I fully agree. In cold and damp conditions, the heat riser that is working properly will be beneficial to good performance. Carburetor icing will occur at low speeds if the heat riser is not working properly and hamper performance. In small aircraft, proper carburetor heat is imperative.

John R 

I can't drive my coupe in the winter. My driveway is so long, steep had has a 95 degree bend in it.  The coupe would not be able to make it up when it has snow on it. But, mine does still work as I'm a bit anal with things.  If I have it it, it has to work.

• Like 1