From a Generator to an Alternator.

47ChryslerWindsor

I have been toying with the notion of getting one of those Powermaster PowerGen units that looks like a generator and all that fun stuff. However they dont list a flathead 6 option or mopar as old as mine. 1947.  What would fit? I noticed some of the GM ones look similar but answers from someone who knows would be amazing and appreciated. P.s. I am keeping the car 6 volt positive ground.

I am no expert but from what I understand these PowerGen alternators don't know what they are being fitted to so would just as easily work on our mopars, but I'd be contacting the company and speak direct to the organ grinder rather than us monkeys......don't get me wrong we can perform as good as the next act and I do like bananas........lol....... but I'd be contacting the company direct............and welcome aboard from Oz.............Andy Douglas.

• Haha 1

the  biggest challenge to putting an alternator  of any type on engines before 1951 is the wide belt pulley that is needed.

although I have done such conversions , my own cars all use  Autolite units as originally equipped.  Entirely satisfactory under most circumstances.

A minor problem with converting  the  Chrysler of that  era is the ground for the starter solenoid  must be changed.    During start up, the generator armature completes the ground for the starter solenoid....... when the generator is up to speed, this cannot happen which prevents accidental engagement of the starter ) 

First  of all, 47 Chrys.Winds. says he's leaving the car 6 volt pos. ground.

Does anyone actually make  a 6 volt pos. ground alternator? 

Second of all, Mack, great song; remember when it was NEW!

Sitting here right now surfing & watching Wheel Of Fortune & almost

fell out of my chair when that second screen came up after Jack to a King

finished playing.

I would still suggest speaking to the Powergen people.........surely they'd know regarding the suitability and as pre 555/54 frods were positive ground like our Mopars it should be easy to get an answer................andyd

• 2 weeks later...

I have a chrome 6 volt positive ground on mine.

Bought bracket and alternator at www.qualitypowerauto.com.

Alternator Part #71276V with 5/8" pulley

Bracket Part #GB-1

The chrome one is $185 but the non-chrome is $135.  Bracket was $45

20190131_084326.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone 

I’m new on this forum

I’m for Belgium 

I’m on my way to replace the old generator by a 6v positive ground alternator from Quality Power

Does anyone have a diagram about how to wire it ?

10153912-6194-4E31-8783-961C6187FE4A.jpeg

I don't have a wiring diagram to show you, but I have an explanation for wiring a single-wire alternator in the post-war DeSoto (and Chrysler, I suppose). 

The voltage regulator will not be needed any more.  Disconnect the wires.   Connect the Black wire from the "B" (Battery) post to the Red wire from the "A" (Armature) post.  (This wire will run to the new alternator.) The Green wire from the "F" (Field) post will not be used and can be abandoned.  (The voltage regulator can be kept in place for show.)       

At the generator, disconnect the Red wire from the "A" (armature ) post.  Connect this wire to the single wire of the alternator.

At the generator, disconnect the Green wire and Brown wire from the "F" (field) post.  Abandon the Green wire which ran to the voltage regulator.  Connect the Brown wire to a suitable ground (earth).  This wire comes from the starter solenoid.   (In my car, I grounded this wire at the solenoid.)  (Chrysler grounded the starter solenoid through the generator field, so that if the engine were running, the starter could not be engaged.) 

54 minutes ago, Phr said:

Hi everyone 

I’m new on this forum

I’m for Belgium 

I’m on my way to replace the old generator by a 6v positive ground alternator from Quality Power

Does anyone have a diagram about how to wire it ?

10153912-6194-4E31-8783-961C6187FE4A.jpeg

I am sure there will be instruction in this box as it is developed mainly for aftermarket upgrades on these older cars.....and to avoid any issues with warranty claims should in the event you have a failure, you will want to wire this in accordance with their instructions.  I would advise if you are concerned prior to ordering, to inquire of this data from the retailer before purchase.

I have asked the seller and here is their quick response

Sure thing, we can give you the easiest way to set it up. 

Step 1: connect terminal A (#6) on your old voltage regulator to terminal B (#4) 
Step 2: remove terminal F on your old regulator (not needed anymore)
Step 3: connect wire from terminal A to the output post of the new alternator
This will keep your ammeter active as well as provide battery voltage for your alternator to charge. Thanks.

Thanks for all your answers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phr said:

I have asked the seller and here is their quick response

Sure thing, we can give you the easiest way to set it up. 

Step 1: connect terminal A (#6) on your old voltage regulator to terminal B (#4) 
Step 2: remove terminal F on your old regulator (not needed anymore)
Step 3: connect wire from terminal A to the output post of the new alternator
This will keep your ammeter active as well as provide battery voltage for your alternator to charge. Thanks.

Thanks for all your answers

bingo....we have a winner...sounds like you golden.....

If anyone is interested, the correct powermaster 6 volt positive ground generator/alternator is 82106. I had to drill out the pivot bracket holes for the larger bolts required on the powermaster. The old generator straddled  the eyelets of the pivot bracket. The 82106 needed to go forward of both eyelets. Also I has to use a diffrent swing arm. I had it on my shelf so I don't know what it came off. Should be a generic one from the dress up section of the local parts store.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

bingo....we have a winner...sounds like you golden.....

If the new alternator puts out a good bit more then your ampmeter is rated, could cause some problems. I didn't take a chance on mine and added a shunt  (2 foot section of 14ga wire directly to starter relay) to bypass some of the current around the ampmeter. The exact length and gauge of wire is a guess without knowing the resistance of your 70 year old wires, connections and ampmeter. 

9 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

If the new alternator puts out a good bit more then your ampmeter is rated, could cause some problems. I didn't take a chance on mine and added a shunt  (2 foot section of 14ga wire directly to starter relay) to bypass some of the current around the ampmeter. The exact length and gauge of wire is a guess without knowing the resistance of your 70 year old wires, connections and ampmeter. 

It doesn't put out more, it CAN put out more if your electrical system needs it.