Water pump status

Vet Doc

FB23E0D3-507C-4A35-B9D5-DF8EAC062D45.jpeg.8de228b30757181dffe00c1b781e6420.jpeg    As I am going through my engine parts to sand blast, prime, and paint, I spent more time examining the pieces a little closer than when I took them off of the block.  I noticed what appears to be an irregular hole on the outside of the casting of the water pump through which I can see the shaft  I looked at pictures of replacement pumps from DCM and also notice a hole, but it appears significantly more intentional.  I am looking for suggestions on whether to re0ace the whole water pump or is this just an expected hole? Any insight or comments appreciated.

I've gotten mine through NAPA, and I think there are a long and short version.  Either will bolt up and fit behind the radiator (the long one is a tight fit) but if you're converting to that style from the shorter version, you'll need a pulley with enough offset to line up with the crank and generator pulleys to keep the belt aligned.   Mike

On 2/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, Merle Coggins said:

It’s a weep hole to allow coolant to escape if the seal leaks. That one looks a bit different than the normal version, but that whole pump looks a bit different. 

I think the hole was intended to rectangular, but has some casting flash that makes it look different.  I'll be the lower left part is paper thin covering the rest of the hole