1955 First vs Second Series Windows?

Fibonachu

I recently bought a 55 C-1-B to fix up with my son.  I am looking at replacement side/back windows, but I am confused by the 1st/2nd series designation from the parts places.  Based on the VIN, mine was actually built in 1954, so I assume that it is a 1st series, but I can't find any pictures that note the difference between the two.

This looks like the right thing, but says it is the 2nd series and later years version.  From what I can tell, the later years had a more square vent.  My theory is that the listing is just mislabeled, but wanted some feedback from someone who knew more.

Anyone have a suggestion?  (I have emailed them as well, but I have had too many vendors tell me their products would work when they wouldn't, so I figured I would ask here as well)

IMG_20190206_092704.jpg

I am not familiar with the 2nd series designation, but do know that '54 thru early '55 cabs and doors were called C-1 and unique, and late '55 thru '56 cabs and doors were called C-3 and of a different configuration...the C-3 cabs were used in the Power Giant D-series, as well as heavy trucks into the early 70s.  The C-3 doors were different than D-series doors in sheet metal, but the door glass is the same.

So if you are ordering glass from a catalog, you want '54 ordering info only...'55 is too confusing, because of the mid-year change, anything after '55 or before '54 will not work, unless it's been incorrectly marked or warehoused  :cool:

• Like 1

When you say "everything", do you mean the cab?  Or the whole truck?

Any recommendations on parts places?  LMC has been my go-to for classic truck parts of other brands, but they don't carry anything for this.

I have found DCM Classics and Robert's Motor Parts, but I am hoping parts are more available than that.  Otherwise my bridgeport might be getting more exercise than I had intended.

Thanks for the help on the glass.  The 1953-1954 listings look the right shape, so those are probably what I want.

"Thanks for the help on the glass.  The 1953-1954 listings look the right shape, so those are probably what I want".

Don't mix 1953 with 1954.... totally different body and truck Chassis components.

1953 is a B-4 series Dodge truck...  very similar to B1 and B2, B3 series ....1948-52 trucks.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

So this listing says it is for 1953 and 1954.

My assumption (apparently incorrect) was that this was similar to your comment above about the C3 and D-series doors being different, but using the same glass.

It appears that either none of the glass vendors know what fits what, or glass for a 1954/early 1955 does not exist?

Catalogs that list things by model year make things quite muddy. They should be listed by model number designation instead. The 'model year' gets a bit fuzzy due to how the DMV's registered vehicles back then. Often times the "year" on the title showed the year it sold rather than when it was made. Also, in recent times we are used to the manufacturers releasing the 'new' model years in September or October of the previous year. This also wasn't the case back then.

It is possible to have the side and back glass cut by a local auto glass company...I took mine out carefully, even the busted up side glass, and the local glass guy used them as templates to cut from the same glass that he uses to replace glass on big rigs.  It worked great and was fairly economically priced :cool:

• Like 1

Very few parts exchange between 1953 (B series) and 1954(C series) trucks.

The rear fender of the 53 truck is the same ...it ran from 1953-1983

But in general.....keep 1953 separate from 1954.

I often talk with parts suppliers about the differences with early series Dodge trucks....

With so many Chevy and Ford buyers/builders, us mopar guys get a quick glance at best from the majority of large suppliers out there.  

Any good glass shop can cut automotive flat glass for you, just take them the old beat up one.

48D

1 hour ago, 48Dodger said:

Very few parts exchange between 1953 (B series) and 1954(C series) trucks.

The rear fender of the 53 truck is the same ...it ran from 1953-1983

But in general.....keep 1953 separate from 1954.

I often talk with parts suppliers about the differences with early series Dodge trucks....

With so many Chevy and Ford buyers/builders, us mopar guys get a quick glance at best from the majority of large suppliers out there.  

Any good glass shop can cut automotive flat glass for you, just take them the old beat up one.

48D

I think the bed sides, headboard and tailgates also ran a little longer than B series?!?!?!?!?

Yes...there are a few other panels/pieces that made it into the C series for a time....

The connecting panel below the tailgate changed in 1952 or 53 I believe, and made it into the 1954.

Said piece was long and rectangular while the change gave it an indent(?) or rise, towards the bed floor.  

But its my experience that its the bed that was carried out and not the cab/front end, at all.

48D