1954 Dodge PU Engine Upgrade

I have a 1954 Dodge C1-B6 with the 230 in engine and 3 speed manual, I am considering the performance options for this engine and then found the rebuilt 251 engine that Sun Valley has

advertised. Is this a bolt in swap? What adjustments - changes have to be made to fit the 25" block into the PU

https://losangelesmachineshop.com/chrysler-251-flathead-inline-6-spitfire-engine-rebuild/

Not sure if the extra 21 cubes are really worth the trouble - anybody's thought on this?

Thanks

If you search the board, there are quite a few threads on putting the longer engine in. Doesnt look all that difficult. However, is that just a long block for sale? You will still need manifolds at a minimum. I am not sure of what else will swap over. If I was starting with a fresh engine, i would add an upgraded cam shaft as well as dual exhaust and intake.

With that being said, what about finding an early V8? The 54 was the first year with a V8 and they aren't that hard to swap in.

JMHO, if  I were to go to the trouble of installing the longer engine, I'd hold out for a 265.  Went through the same discussion with myself a few months ago when I found a 251 MF combine engine.  I'm working on my 230 little by little.  I'll use it until bigger and/or better appears.

A baby hemi would be great! even an early 318. 

OK thanks for the info - if I stay with a Flathead, I would go with a reground cam and hi-compression head from Edgy-Mopar Montana, and then the dual carbs and header setup

So I could start with a fresh short block

I just got my reprinted Parts Manuals - I am going to look over the V8 conversion, from everything I have read the early poly (scallopped valve covers) and early Hemi are the same block

So I would think either V8 would go in.

On the 265, I need to keep doing my homework before I decide - I do like the idea of a vintage hop-up on the 6, granted more expensive and less HP than either of the V8's 

I also like the later 318 Poly - had one in my first car - cool engine!

• Like 1