47 p15 rr quarter fender area

Bob Erdman

frust, finding a suitable donor in a condition that makes it worth cutting out and welding is going to be a bit hard, not impossible, just hard to come by.  Most all I have seen has some degree of damage due to the window drains at the top and the usual blocked drains at the bottom/rocker area where you suffering your problems.  This rust tends to grow a bit north as is evident by your damaged area.  This weakened metal also make subsequent damage look real intense due to the weakened substrate.   I have in the past and would in the future should I be faced with similar, is to hand shape a repair panel to weld in.  You will not get out of this without some sort of filler, the trick is to keep this as close to a skim coat verse a deep fill.  This will probably be easier to fabricate from two section welded together prior to welding to the body unless  you have access to some really cool fab tools.

• Like 2

If you have the piece from a donor car even if its rusty BUT straight I'd be using it as a replacement, ideally cut as high as the replacement dogleg is needed........you may even be able to get away with using the same basic dogleg piece from a 4dr rather than a 2 dr as your car is...........I had to repair the same area on my car 45 yrs ago after I was sideswiped by a drunk driver.............interesting thing in my case was that after squashing the dogleg on my right hand, drivers side his car proceded to remove the complete drivers side rear fender shooting it over the roof of two cars following me , the fender was not in any way repairable, being shortened to 1/3 its length.........the body had small 2" square pieces of fender still attached but apart from the flattened dogleg the body was undamaged.................andyd