Shim at bell housing

Cold Blue

I've had my 48 Plymouth (with the original 218 flathead) for about 6 months now, and I keep finding things that puzzle me, done by previous owners...the pan was missing that covers the clutch and flywheel. I found a used one (hooray!) and I was going to put in on this morning. But I ran into something puzzling. The bell housing is bolted to the motor by two heavy duty steel brackets. Two bolts to the side of the bell housing, and two bolts to the motor.  I have to remove the two bolts that secure the bracket to the motor, insert the pan, and reinstall the bolts. I started to remove the bolts, but noticed that the passenger side bracket has about an 1/8" thick shim between the bracket and the motor, while the other side doesn't have the shim. Is the alignment of the bell housing and the motor super critical? Was something out of line that caused a shim to be on one side and not the other?

The pan I am going to install is sheet metal. about 1/16" thick, and goes between the bracket and the motor. I think I am going to get rid of the 1/8" thick shim. Surely 1/16" of an inch will not make a difference, and will square everything up.  Is my thinking correct?  I have attached a picture showing the bracket with the shim. (The other bracket doesn't have this shim!!!)

DSC01806.jpg

Plymouthy - so the thinking is that maybe the shim was installed to help align the holes in the brace. If that is indeed the case, I am not going to worry about that shim, as I don't see alignment of the holes being a problem. I'll leave the bolts tight in the side of the bell housing, and just remove the ones that bolt into the motor so I can slip the pan between the brace and the motor. I think I will install a washer that is the same thickness of the sheet metal pan at the top bolt...

I have seen those stamped steel bell housing  brackets with shims at times... a factory alignment issue solution.

If there is a gap of say 1/32" to 1/16" to the bell housing... use those shims... don't try to tighten them up and bend them to fit tight to the bell housing .

Well shoot...I FINALLY got the pan installed that covers the flywheel/clutch and it turns out that you don't have to remove the bracket braces! The pan is notched at those braces so it clears. And the felt gasket on the pan goes BEHIND and snugs up against the half circle projection of the oil pan. I found two things that might help others install a pan on a 218 3 speed in the future. 1) bend the circular part of the pan at the corners in slightly to help it get by the oil pan projection;  2) grind the front corners of the pan off slightly so they don't hang on the rear rubber motor mounts. I fooled around with that aggravating pan for a solid hour trying to get it fitted until I did the above. If fell right into place when I did those simple mods.

That little piece is listed as "Clutch Housing Reinforcement" in the parts book, and the note says "2 required".  I would personally not feel comfortable with leaving it out.  If you have one, it should be pretty simple to make another for the other side.  (Just my opinion.)

most pressed steel  braces that I have dis assembled have the shim on both sides.   Cast iron braces such as those on the fluid drive did not.

Rule of thumb here is nothing needs to be overtightened of forced.  Ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1