Split header - dual exhaust - reduced torque?

Thsmedley

"trying to figure out if the split exhaust adds any performance or if I would lose torque. "

Anything that adds horsepower will increase torque as well. There's a mathematical relationship. The worst you can do is reshape the torque curve. You won't reduce torque.

4 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Well its a race engine and no load.

What kinda redline you gettin?

Better yet Adam how bout a video if your flattie runnin. And not a HF clone engine running to 6 grand.

I agree with you and Tim on the benefits of multi carbs and dual exhaust so I'm not sure why you're targeting me, but since you asked...

My redline is somewhere around 4500, give or take

My flathead can't run to 6000, why would I try? There is no need to run it up that tight

I don't have a video of my flattie runnin.  I just drive the $hit out of it

My F150 revs to 6K faster than that Velociraptor

I don't care if Tim or others stay away because their feelings get hurt

8 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I would like to see or hear evidence of a flathead 6 turning 6000 RPM's

Better yet Don. How about you and I meet up at Georges this spring?

I would be happy to bet you any amount, so bring cash.

We can both see how Georges and Tim cars will spin north of 6000 rpm.

I will be there in May care to bet me on this?

Edited by 55 Fargo

6 minutes ago, Matt Wilson said:

I think George Asche still build engines for guys who race them.  Tim Kingsbury may actually be racing sometimes.

Hi Matt George just turned 87 and is being quite selective on who is getting an engine built by him these days.

At his age he is very fortunate to be still doing what he does...

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm this all started about less torque with split exhaust??  I still run a single pipe.  With my mods on the Dyno my torque increased about 6 ft lbs but rpm moved up by 300 rpm.

What's a rittens and how can you tell if they are good or bad?

I am just thinking ut loud, so to speak. Don't mind criticism, don't need affirmation.  Just stirring up some grey matter.  If your offended add Bronx cheer here...So again number one and number six may get a lesser charge through the valve based on time speed and distance, but leaner/richer don't see how.  

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, 55 Fargo said:

Hi Matt George just turned 87 and is being quite selective on who is getting an engine built by him these days.

At his age he is very fortunate to be still doing what he does...

I agree, he is fortunate to be able to do what he does.  I wasn't entirely sure how much he was doing these days.  I only know that one time when I spoke to him a year or two ago, he was still doing some of that.   He mentioned having just completed a race engine for a younger guy in his seventies - a 230 for a vintage race car.  When I spoke to him last Friday, I didn't ask him how much engine building he was doing.  Apparently he's still doing carbs, manifolds and cams, as he asked me if I needed any.

Edited by Matt Wilson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt Wilson said:

I agree, he is fortunate to be able to do what he does.  I wasn't entirely sure how much he was doing these days.  I only know that one time when I spoke to him a year or two ago, he was still doing some of that.   He mentioned having just completed a race engine for a younger guy in his seventies - a 230 for a vintage race car.  When I spoke to him last Friday, I didn't ask him how much engine building he was doing.  Apparently he's still doing carbs, manifolds and cams, as he asked me if I needed any.

Yup heres the car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sser2 said:

Anyone doing racing with  flathead six these days?....

… As I recall one of the most recent challenges this side of the Atlantic , "Show Us what You Brought", was in 2007 ?....Since then ,most of the action has been on the other side of the  pond. lol

627856210_TheBigRace.jpg.25acbe7cb1f8656c8a3128602fb3ee9a.jpg1420857477_RacinginUK.jpg.a007f29715e49aebe36110b5d0bf1836.jpg

Edited by T120
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To reply to the original question regarding a split manifold.. Generally speaking a split manifold will do nothing but cost money, make noise and reduce the efficiency of the engine, especially if the heat riser is removed.

I ran a muffler/performance shop in the early '50's, we did a lot of split manifolds because inline engines were the norm. In order to improve the performance of the average engine, it requires a lot of modifications to the engine which cost a lot of money, and in all probability will shorten the life of the engine. There use to be a old saying, how fast you want to go depends on how deep your pockets are.

1 hour ago, blucarsdn said:

To reply to the original question regarding a split manifold.. Generally speaking a split manifold will do nothing but cost money, make noise and reduce the efficiency of the engine, especially if the heat riser is removed.

I ran a muffler/performance shop in the early '50's, we did a lot of split manifolds because inline engines were the norm. In order to improve the performance of the average engine, it requires a lot of modifications to the engine which cost a lot of money, and in all probability will shorten the life of the engine. There use to be a old saying, how fast you want to go depends on how deep your pockets are.

Shave the head, two carbs and duals, with a slightly bigger cam than stock.....that will perk it right up if you damage anything with that simple combo then its operator error. All for less than $1,500.......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blucarsdn said:

My experience is a bit different. Dual Webers, shorty headers into a single 2.25 exhaust made a noticeable difference with no internal engine mods. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1