D24 and P15 spindles

MackTheFinger

16 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Is it possible to run D24 brakes on P15 spindles? I'm giving some thought to trying the larger Dodge brakes on my Plymouth.

Thanks in advance!

Al

None of my business,but wouldn't it be cheaper and better to just put disc brakes on your P-15. By the time you buy  backing plates with the springs,wheel cylinders,and drums with bearings,you would have a BUNCH of money in less braking power.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

None of my business,but wouldn't it be cheaper and better to just put disc brakes on your P-15. By the time you buy  backing plates with the springs,wheel cylinders,and drums with bearings,you would have a BUNCH of money in less braking power.

Yeah, it would. A friend has a whole front suspension from a D-24 he's sub-framing and I thought bigger drums might be an improvement without too much effort. He says he's been getting some grief over his swap but I'm cheering him on. I can't see how two or three times as much power, fuel injection, disc brakes, and power steering could be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, MackTheFinger said:

Yeah, it would. A friend has a whole front suspension from a D-24 he's sub-framing and I thought bigger drums might be an improvement without too much effort. He says he's been getting some grief over his swap but I'm cheering him on. I can't see how two or three times as much power, fuel injection, disc brakes, and power steering could be a bad thing.

I have a 78 Camaro frame clip on my P-15,along with the engine,trans,and rear from the same car,and it rides,drives,and stops like a dream. It was already installed,if not finished,when I bought the car,so I had to finish the boxing and welding,and make trans mounts.

I don't think I would do this to one with the original suspension,though. Maybe a brake upgrade,but IMNSHO there is nothing wrong with the way the stockers ride and drive. I bought the car with the frame clip because I got it cheap.

Upper control arms are handed, ie, right & left due to the offset to accommodate the upper shock mount pin but are the same 1941 thru to 1954.........shouldn't the stub axles be the same? so it should just be a matter of bolting the larger Dodge brake parts on?............happy to be proven wrong tho'.............andyd     

3 hours ago, Andydodge said:

bolting the larger Dodge brake parts on?

That's what I'm hoping for but for some reason I thought there was a difference in the knuckles. I need to get the Dodge parts and just compare them to the Plymouth. My crystal ball sees a trip to St. Louis in my future.. ?

Edited by MackTheFinger