Clutching

Russell Winje

Learning to drive the Fluid Drive in this 1949 Chrysler New Yorker has been fun and interesting.  I am discovering that I don't need to "slip" the clutch in reverse or 1st from a start, like I do in a standard clutch drive car.  It would seem that letting the clutch out directly, smoothly lets the fluid clutch do the work.  Am I seeing that right?  How do you use your manual clutch from a start in reverse or 1st gears?  Also I read that in high gear you can come to a slow traffic condition without clutch.  I'm not sure of that, so I use the clutch when I slow to a near stop.  What do you do?  Thanks for the input.

clutch brake.jpg

I have found it easier to drive my FD equipped 49 like a normal 3 speed.  Sometimes when I'm in slow, curvy, hilly parts I let the FD do the work but I feel it drags the engine down too low when stopped.  Maybe I'll lower the fluid level and retry some day but remember, the clutch is smaller than a non FD clutch so don't ride it too much.

The clutch is only necessary when changing gears.  While you can accelerate from a stop in 3rd , I always thought that was way too slow.  In slow traffic, second works well from a stop to 25-30 or so.  Just put it in 2 and keep it there until traffic speeds up.

The fluid drive does not eliminate the need to use the clutch, it's not a "fluid clutch", it's a fluid coupling between the engine and transmission.  What it does is lessen, sometimes eliminate, the need to shift gears at all.  I always clutch the car into reverse or first, from there you can ease the clutch out with your foot on the brake and the car won't die if everything is working right.  I'm usually about 50/50 whether I do that or not, no reason, that's just how it seems to work out, probably because I have other standard tranny cars and am just used to using the clutch more often than not.  It'll bog down a little, but then all you need to do is press the accelerator to move the car.  You still have to clutch up or down through the gears, but once you're in you're desired "cruising" gear, you don't need to shift anymore, just like an automatic tranny (sorta).  Around crowded towns/neighborhoods/etc. where I won't be going above 25 or 30, I usually leave it in second, which provides a bit better acceleration.  In rural areas, like where we live now, I'll leave it in third.  No clutch, just brake to a stop, take off as needed.  I've said it before - acceleration from a stop in third is more "majestic" than anything else - but you don't need to clutch.  These cars have a retarded throttle return that keeps it from decelerating too fast when you stop or slow down in gear, and since there is no mechanical connection between the engine and rear wheels, it won't die.  If you take your foot off the brake (and/or clutch) slowly without applying gas, the car will still move out, but you can still kill it if you pop the clutch too quick.  Fluid drive is great for holding hills, driving in snow, mud, loose surfaces, etc.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Thank you for the input.  To answer one question posed, it is a four speed, with fluid drive, in that is has two gears in low range and two gears in high range.  I clutch to start in low range, then let the speed of the car (about 15 mph) and letting off on the gas make the "clunk" shift into the upper gear in low range.  When its time to shift of to the high range I use the clutch to move from low range to high range, where if I'm slow enough, it goes into high range, first speed.  When I get enough speed (about 25 mph) and let off on the gas in high range, it makes the finial shift into 4th gear.  Thus, four actual forward gears.     It is helpful to have the input so I can understand what Chrysler anticipated the driver would be able to do. 

I don't know about the Gyromatic, but the 3 speed in my Meadowbrook works fantastic.  The engine is tuned correctly, so if I come to a stop without pushing in the clutch, the engine will idle down to around 450 rpms.   It really freaks people out the first time they ride with me.

The Fluid Drive was made for stately driving.  With the 3-speed transmission, a person could take off in 3rd, and leave it there.  Cars with the 4-speed automatic would automatically shift between 3rd and  4th.  No clutching except for the initial starting off, backing up, or if stuck at a railroad crossing for more than five minutes.   Mother Mopar's answer to the Hydra-Matic. 

So, don't go through the lower range-upper range shifting unless you really have to move out at the traffic light, or if you can't get out of the clutching habit. 

I believe the owners manuals of these era semi automatics instructed drivers from stationary to; put foot on the brake, engage clutch and select required gear reverse , low or high range. Let out clutch in gear while still engaging brake, release brake and accelerate as required. As stated engaging clutch is only required when moving gear selector.

2 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

The Fluid Drive was made for stately driving.  With the 3-speed transmission, a person could take off in 3rd, and leave it there.  Cars with the 4-speed automatic would automatically shift between 3rd and  4th.  No clutching except for the initial starting off, backing up, or if stuck at a railroad crossing for more than five minutes.   Mother Mopar's answer to the Hydra-Matic. 

So, don't go through the lower range-upper range shifting unless you really have to move out at the traffic light, or if you can't get out of the clutching habit. 

I like the "stately driving" idea.  I will try looking smug while driving, unless I'm stuck on a RR crossing.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I believe the owners manuals of these era semi automatics instructed drivers from stationary to; put foot on the brake, engage clutch and select required gear reverse , low or high range. Let out clutch in gear while still engaging brake, release brake and accelerate as required. As stated engaging clutch is only required when moving gear selector.

OK, this also makes a lot of sense.  Thanks.

16 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

We don't have any steep hills here so I only use 3-4 combination. Clutch directly to third after engine start and never use clutch unless reverse is needed.  

That method will test my mental way of looking at the driving world.  I'll try it.  Thanks.

A story from early 1970s.

Had a 52 dodge 1ton .fluid drive. It was 

The fuel truck for the farm 300 gallons 

Diesel. 

I was 12 brother was 15 he was saying 

You could start in any gear.. I advised against it. .  Can not remember  how much gas he had on. But some for sure.

Slid his foot off clutch, bang broke rear 

Axle.

At idle may be nothing ,would have happened.

Was just glad it was not me in trouble

I have a D-24 with fluid drive, a standard 3 speed transmission and a bad left knee. 

I start my car clutch down brake on, shift to reverse, release the clutch and brake and back out of my driveway. Stop and depress the clutch and shift to 2nd gear, release the clutch and brake hit the gas and drive away. When up to speed I shift to 3rd without using the clutch. When I need to stop IF I am on level ground I hit the brake and leave it in 3rd so no clutching is required. On hilly ground I shift to 2nd gear clutch less and follow the above procedure. The only time I use the clutch is backing out of my driveway. I learned to shift without using the clutch  60 years ago on non fluid drive cars.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, Don Coatney said:

I have a D-24 with fluid drive, a standard 3 speed transmission and a bad left knee. 

I start my car clutch down brake on, shift to reverse, release the clutch and brake and back out of my driveway. Stop and depress the clutch and shift to 2nd gear, release the clutch and brake hit the gas and drive away. When up to speed I shift to 3rd without using the clutch. When I need to stop IF I am on level ground I hit the brake and leave it in 3rd so no clutching is required. On hilly ground I shift to 2nd gear clutch less and follow the above procedure. The only time I use the clutch is backing out of my driveway. I learned to shift without using the clutch  60 years ago on non fluid drive cars.

Did a bunch of that shifting 2nd to 3rd without the clutch with my D-24. Did it with some others in the past as well. Just have to get the engine speed right to not be embarrassed by grinding noises?

• Thanks 1