Hot wire help again

47Dodge3Window

Still not able to start my 47 Dodge 6 volt positive ground up. When I hook up the neg battery switched wire to the coil and the neg battery to the small post on the solenoid the starter cranks and there is spark at the coil. Check the solenoid with the wire to the neg battery and the solenoid clicks. Why does the starter crank with out a jumper or remote starter button? Is the solenoid bad? The solenoid is temporally grounded to the engine

The small post is what the starter wire from the ignition switch normally energizes. So if you are energizing the post directly from the battery you are bypassing the switch, allowing the solenoid to do its thing. If its cranking and yo have spark at the plugs, the no start must be fuel related unless your timing is way off or the spark plug wires are not in the dix cap in the proper firing order sequence.

Have spark at the plugs, how much I don’t know but I can see it, pulled all plugs and cranked engine with wires hook up. Timing? Have set number 1 till pressure blows thumb off spark plug hole, then turn engine back ccw till dc on pullly, rotor cap at about 7 o’clock. Fire order 1,5,3,6,2 4 oo on pully. Still no start

May try adding another ground from solenoid to car body. Sounds like either bad ground on solenoid or bad solenoid. Maybe just a bad ground in that area. Solenoid needs a really good ground for one. Also, any time I've had a solenoid that just clicked it was either bad or had corroded cables on the battery. Just my 2 cents worth.

I suppose I don’t always have spark at the plugs. Checked some previous threads:

“Disconnect the wire from the coil and connect your meter to that wire and a good ground. Turn over the engine and you should see continuity to ground when the points are closed”

Didn’t happen no continuity, always open. When checked with the distributor out of the car using the ground screw on the distributor and the lead to the meter on the points (with cap off) meter will cycle from continuity to no continuity. So does this must mean I have a bad cap and or a bad ground from the distributor to the motor?

Double check the internal wire going from the coil terminal on the diz to the points. these can have their insulation fail causing grounding before the points which will screw things up and can be an intermittant problem. Also assure that the wire that grounds the breaker plate is on good shape with good connections. these will often fail near the terminal ends to to constant flexing when the breaker plate moves.

Are you getting good fuel flow???

And what I have encountered is a situation where everything looks great, confirmed firing order twice, then noticed I was one tower off on the spark plug towers.