P15 chrome column turn signal wire support brkt

3046moparcoupe

Just wanted to share a lap here on the forum with my fellow P15 members. I'm pretty much a one way valve here on the forum (always asking for help), but maybe this small thing will allow someone to have a little fun. When I added my turn signal to the column, the 6-8" of wire running down the side of the column kept catching my eye. I kept trying to figure out a way to support the wire, or even to hide it would have been the best choice. 

Found this bracket on ebay, it's listed as Arlen Ness Tech Chrome Radius Clutch Cable Brkt 1 1/2" billet..it cost me $9.95 delivered to my door. The bracket is made out of aluminum that's been chrome plated. My painted steering column OD measured right at 1.510 thousands. The ID on the clamp I received wasn't exactly a perfect circle. It measured from around 1.470 "  - 1.495 ". So the manufacture is counting on the bracket to bolt down with a firm interference fit. (which would make sense as this is mfg'd to go on a motorcycle frame tube).

Anyhoo - with the base metal being aluminum, I thought what the heck and I took a round bastard file and filed away at the inside I.D. of the clamp to enlarge the opening. Took me about three attempts to finally get the opening large enough to mount to my column. The bastard file would remove the aluminum fairly quickly, then I'd follow up with a wheel cylinder hone to smooth everything out. I didn't want to scar my paint on the column, every time I trail fitted the bracket to see if it was large enough, I would tape the hole opening of the brkt with cloroplast cloth wire harness friction tape. I finally ended up removing around .040 thousands of aluminum from the ID of the brkt hole, but with the cloth tape in place (cut to where you can't see it), I was able to slip the brkt onto the column, tighten the single mounting screw that holds the 2 sections of the brkt together, and the brkt stayed nice and snug on the column. Ten I was able to remove the brkt and there was no evidence of marking, etc. in the paint...

Obviously I went through the chrome plating, when opening up the hole in the brkt, and had this been steel - I would not have even tried it. But being aluminum, well see if over time any issues of corrosion or flaking away of the chrome takes place. Again, being aluminum base stock, I would think it could just be polished out if that did happen, or if a person wanted to get it re-chromed, etc..

I've attached three pics. There are a few different styles of these on ebay. one was a bit more of the squared off billet chrome shape, one was black, and the other (like I purchased) has the rounded off smooth shoulders which I thought looked more like a part that might have come on the car. The small wire support hole opening is 3/8". I ran 14 awg wires down my column and even with my wires wrapped with a single overlap wrap, I have a small bit of play, so none of the wires are being pinched or in a bind....if you ran 16awg wire like the manual shows, you might even have enough room for some plastic tubing, which might look pretty clean and trick.

Anyway - this made for a fun couple of hours. Enjoy !!

Steve

100_5508.JPG

100_5510.JPG

100_5507.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe
  • Like 1

I also like that, as Frank has indicated, nice & understated, could almost imagine a mopar part # on it.............andyd

• Thanks 2

Thank you Andy and Frank,...I just wanted to post as I thought it might allow someone a few hours of affordable fun to make a quick little eye candy add on. :) 

The folks on this forum have been amazing sending ideas, help, encouragement, support,  back my way over the past 5 years. 

If more of our young folks could be encouraged, taught, mentored along this path, of restoring an old car like this,..I do believe it would greatly change their lives for the better. To work with your hands and mind, (not a smart phone/lap top screen) and actually make something,. Overcoming the obstacles, perseverance, etc....you guys know exactly what I'm talking about,...anyway - I think their future's would never be the same, in regards to what they would learn about life and themselves.

Thxs again P15 forum,