ID This Valve

John-T-53

I found a valve while building a fence on my property last summer. Buried about 18" down, where a post was going.

I've been curious what it goes to, maybe some experts here know... It's definitely from a flathead something.

length: 7 1/8"

stem: 3/8"

head: 1 3/4"

IMG_3727.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

• Like 1

keep digging.... i'll bet the rest is down there further, LOL

don't bring it to the "Q" 48D will more than likely confiscate it..... :) 

13 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

keep digging.... i'll bet the rest is down there further, LOL

don't bring it to the "Q" 48D will more than likely confiscate it..... :) 

It might make a good piece for a trophy...perhaps? "Tuff Trucker" award?

• Haha 1

Looks like its a Ford....could be Chevy...maybe a Dodge....or even a Desoto.....or Plymouth.....moped?

That slot on the face has me stumped....must have be stuck? Someone cut the surface to work it free? 

hmmmm......

48D

That looks like a pretty long valve. Single keeper groove too... not for any MoPar  flathead.

I've seen the cut in the valves on a pre-War John Deere B and a post-War Farmall M, and them B valves were way longer than the flathead valves...I had a crusty, experienced tractor mechanic tell me that slot was for lapping valves with a screwdriver...

That sounds reasonable.....Id be interested to know if its a "farmer cut" or factory cut.

The fact that the valve has been removed and eventually disguarded might suggest that there was an

attempt to fix it, or maybe fixed one to many times...lol.  

48D 

My machinist friend has seen those slots on the head before, just on "very old stuff" he said. This one appears to be factory cut. And yes, the keeper groove on this one appears to be unique!

The screwdriver lapping method (especially if you had a strong magnetic one) sounds more reasonable than the rubber suction cup method - those dang suction cups always slip off.

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1

Old time valve servicing equipment engaged those slots in the valve head.

• Like 2