"Farmer fixes"

Brent B3B

I Recently picked up another truck and it makes me laugh at some of the "on the fly" fixes folks make to these trucks. Not talking " rat rods" or "custom" upgrades but, things people do in the name of repairs. Example- glove box door lock

IMG_1210.JPG.a3962d494698b75a3e5c675f9eccbf99.JPG

Yep, they drilled a hole in the dash to hook a bent rod in it to hold the door closed. ?

what have you come acrossed in your builds?

• Like 2

I don't have any pics, but the '49 had a knotted dish towel as a gas cap, the '52 parts truck had a balled-up tube sock (white with 3 blue stripes) for an oil cap, the '53 had wadded up newspapers under a bath towel duct-taped over the exposed seat spring :cool:

• Like 3

-Rubber strap: battery tie down

- home window latch: glove box lock

-bubble gum: radiator repair (external)

-duct tape: hole in floor

- plywood: replacement for broken rear window

-vice grips: window crank

I've seen all these and probably more I can't think of at the moment. ?

• Like 1

This is how someone repaired one of the rear fenders on my truck. 

This is after I cut the piece out obviously. 

Functionally it worked,  but cosmetically, not so good!

20181201_191613-907x1612.jpg

20181201_191618-907x1612.jpg

• Like 4

Honestly, I approve of all these fixes, not sure what everybody worked up about?

:D

Ok I add that my 1949 B1C has a B1B front axle under it, you need 2 different spare tires, one for front and one for rear ... and has a 1937 218 engine .... they used what was available

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I Recently picked up another truck and it makes me laugh at some of the "on the fly" fixes folks make to these trucks. Not talking " rat rods" or "custom" upgrades but, things people do in the name of repairs. Example- glove box door lock

IMG_1210.JPG.a3962d494698b75a3e5c675f9eccbf99.JPG

Yep, they drilled a hole in the dash to hook a bent rod in it to hold the door closed. ?

what have you come acrossed in your builds?

Hey Brent, what did you expect? the ad said custom interior.

• Haha 1

my B3HH has a "pedal stiffener" AKA section of rebar welded to the brake pedal and along the bend for extra support :)

pedal_stiffner.JPG.1272ab844ebf635d35395e6d1a2467c6.JPG

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 3

Mine was a farm truck for years, so it was held together with bailing wire. Loose steering due to crappy tie rod ends? Wire them up.

image.png.70d758ad7eb3484f4a65379138883f21.png

Or if the fan falls apart? Weld it together:

image.png.b3ef01a61460d6090cb9eae501239cf1.png

Not enough fuel flow? Weld it up.

image.png.f42faea623b3d1665274295347cb6aac.png

• Like 5

I forgot about the seat that was reupholstered with carpet and bailing wire. Old gloves and rags were stuffed in the hole in the seat before the carpet was applied.

HmS4REc9xI5Wy942_OWkQs-PR_HjuyPhcwC_O7PkiBxyXqNv0ETD2i47nQAhUpW_TB_3l_j0RnSBrUyoQ2wKj1c2kuwF0pn0mFVlcmHWo3JKLqoUHVQy8Z1Guh5W0Bq6E6swxA8ripWxtISF2K7--4t4UD3E0fLVgBbdesXP-VCglWmiyt9tmhJrXVeAgTpMU7o6oSypJBZfnN5FkuaRppuU6v4AjnGRON4jYHzmBrYlDZox6Y1CbxHJCbQfDJ-mhlStJU8nfBddRq-RvVnypCeGfiLvsWnCVIk7pnFVQhsUBDARdUu1H2pLR1c7zcEm55sewHEUbuOu53VqchvcFl22-cnXBE8IZWsgmO1CAwO1_RgKdT9vK3pcNxeqIJwlXZw69Tcwh8pW1_C0pRd7tSdftxZ4-kes6BdyM9YLXuuKn8Z-pMz5kxIogs8hq2YVyTi9nNUL1rmasZgqPSeaXwtdJN_CAJMr5okMHXpEN2Wf_yxWvgMUFsGhxYL8f7O_rRDzomlaayTSxJDZXlWz3rNIbnZMasqmtn2LqXvGvIxe8K9OGgfdsQfZkZCKBz4oXMqY2l0eCoEZ7w83D6-cBVgBq_A9OLFkyyoFfhxY3l4YPrVSpBkzOv1kj4Vnlv4rfXTLsJBTW9DVkpH61TNiNuZ0=w427-h758-no

I can't remember why my dad said he wired the gas pedal to the steering column...

image.png.5d3c31f0efc91ba91c1f9e33e17713f2.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Honestly, I approve of all these fixes, not sure what everybody worked up about?

:D

Ok I add that my 1949 B1C has a B1B front axle under it, you need 2 different spare tires, one for front and one for rear ... and has a 1937 218 engine .... they used what was available

Yeah, I agree, I approve of all of these fixes. I've done some of them myself. One that wasn't mentioned so far yet, on the side of the road, I took a wire coat hanger, bent it around the drive shaft and exhaust pipe which broke off and was hanging down, and proceeded to drive many, many miles like that. ?

• Like 1

The exhaust pipe sheared off ahead of the muffler on my first car, a '67 Coronet, about 50 miles from home.  I cut the ends off a Coke can, slit it up the side, wrapped it around the end of the pipe and the muffler flange, and held it in place with a couple hose clamps.  Lasted for awhile, but Coke cans don't like high temperatures and vibration....

8 hours ago, RNR1957NYer said:

The exhaust pipe sheared off ahead of the muffler on my first car, a '67 Coronet, about 50 miles from home.  I cut the ends off a Coke can, slit it up the side, wrapped it around the end of the pipe and the muffler flange, and held it in place with a couple hose clamps.  Lasted for awhile, but Coke cans don't like high temperatures and vibration....

you did it wrong. campbells soup cans are the professional way to do it. if you use hormel chili the red cap from the can can also be used as a tail light lense

edit: I added a pic of my ramcharger exhaust- this can was goya black beans and lasted a few months before I swapped to headers and new duals!

also please note my pebble beach level of fit and finish- the clamps are clocked the same as are the slots in the screws. Professional.

3A431FCC-FEFB-4899-9AA4-22D0430C6752.jpeg

Edited by Radarsonwheels
Added a pic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Tying the gas pedal to the steering column was probably needed, if his pedal was like mine.  The pedal is supported on two bolts on the floor, that have ball-shaped heads.  The gas pedal is supposed to sort of snap onto the 2 balls, but as the pedal gets old, it does not stay.  It tries to fall to the right side, making the rod that goes through the fire wall start binding.  You can't fix this as you are driving along the road; trust me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I like this thread. We chuckle today, but those fixes were of survival years. I've heard tell that coffee grounds would fix a leaking radiator. 

Yeah, I forgot about the coffee grounds in the leaking radiator. I've heard that that works too; but, haven't actually tried it myself, nor know of anyone who has done it. One thing, though, for sure, it would smell good. (I love that smell of coffee). ?

10 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

fresh perked coffee and bacon frying...take me home, country roads...

I've heard that in Cuba, they many times use cooking oil in their engines and the smell wafting rearwards reminds you of a fast food restaurant. ?