plymouth three speed removal

canadiandeluxe

Ok so i need to take out the transmission  out of my 50 special deluxe and the book doesn't really tell me how to do it all that well, One of my teachers said there might only be like four bolts holding it to the separate bell housing thing. Because I was looking at it and was kind of confused as to how to take it out. i also am just going to assume without the bell housing it will clear the cross-member because it is welded in place? Any tips are welcome.

There are only 4 bolts that hold the transmission to the bell housing two on each side. The transmission will come out of the bell housing with some resistance but it will come off. Be sure you have someone there to help you as it is quite heavy and keep it at a level as it has to come out of the though out bearing and the pilot bushing. I have changed three and sometimes you have to pry between the bell and transmission to break it loose. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 at each corner of the transmission.

Be sure that the gasket between the transmission, and bell housing is in place when putting the transmission back in.  Gear lube  will leak from the hole in the transmission if not installed. My original gasket had no hole at that spot, so I did not cut a hole in my new gasket at that point.

IMGP0466.JPG

hole goes.JPG

First, place jack stands under your vehicle. Remove drive shaft; disconnect speedo cable, shifter arms, & e-brake cable.

Remove the bracket that secures the e-brake cable from the left side of trans.

Remove the 4 bolts holding trans to bell housing.

Like Webmaster says, transmission jack or at least a floor jack will make things a lot easier for you.

On a '48 the floor over the trans is removable. Not sure about your '50 but that would also make

things a lot easier for you.

Best of luck & if I missed anything, guys, please correct me.

I found that making a couple of guide pins makes it much easier to install the trans.   Get a couple of bolts with the same thread as the original mounting bolts, then cut the heads off the longer bolts and screw them into two diagonally-located mounting holes on the bell housing.  Slide the trans into position on the pins you just made, put in two regular mounting bolts, then remove the 'pin-bolts' and replace them with the correct ones.  You can also cut a slot into the end of each guide pin to make removal by screwdriver easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

I found that making a couple of guide pins makes it much easier to install the trans.   Get a couple of bolts with the same thread as the original mounting bolts, then cut the heads off the longer bolts and screw them into two diagonally-located mounting holes on the bell housing.  Slide the trans into position on the pins you just made, put in two regular mounting bolts, then remove the 'pin-bolts' and replace them with the correct ones.  You can also cut a slot into the end of each guide pin to make removal by screwdriver easy.

Makes aligning the input shaft into the clutch way easier. Your not trying to hold it into position while spinning the shaft.  And as noted before if your floor board comes out it makes the job really easy.  

On my first engine swap (for a friend, done in the basement of a bank barn in Minnesota, dirt floor) I learned a lesson the hard way.  We had a stabbing shaft to align the clutch plate before installing the trannie, but still needed the guide bolts, as mentioned above.  (We just bought a length of bolt stock & cut it into four pieces.)  Even then we couldn't get it up in there.  (We had no floor jack - had to lift it up & stab it in before our arms got too tired to hold it anymore.)  We finally pulled the engine back out & mounted the trannie on the floor.  Clutch failed later, and my friend had to repeat the process.  He said that it went in easily.  The deal was that the clutch pressure plate springs were so weak that they couldn't hold the disk in place when you ran the trannie shaft up in there.  I assume that in this case that is all being rebuilt anyway, but this discussion just reminded me of that experience.

Edited by Eneto-55

On 2/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, JerseyHarold said:

I use this trick on all my clutch jobs in any kind of car. Not only makes transmission installation easy and predictable, but saves you from injured shoulder cuff rotators. Don't ask me how i know.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, 50 coupe said:

Yup, just four bolts. I just took mine out. Not difficult. I did it with the car on jack stands, floor jack and crawling around on the floor. 

thats my plan. use a floor jack and hope it doesn't fall violently onto my arm or something stupid.