polar vortex

ggdad1951

So I CHOOSE to live in a state that this can happen...hasn't really affected me beyond putting more clothes on...must be "toxic masculinity" that drives me to go out in this type of weather.   So some interesting pics from the last few days below:

Yesterday's morning pic of the shop thermometer:50943255_10157195458081004_7828701786822148096_n.jpg.ae67e53862d4b31162c5700e4988eb5d.jpg

when I got home from work our front door has started to cryostrip: 20190130_152253.jpg

I like how it picks a spot (seems to be a small rust spot) and spirals out from that.

this morning's reading in the shop:20190131_053948.jpg.6850335b9386fad5c762c2121137b1dc.jpg

Oddly the shop in floor heat is set to 60°F....it's pretty much running all the time over night at this point.

God, I love this state!   And Saturday it's gonna be 40° ABOVE zero...73° temp swing in 2 days!

• Like 2

Polar vortex, huh?  When I was a kid they called this "winter".  The all-time record low in Kansas City was -23  on December 22 and 23, 1989.  It got to -4 yesterday and it is 6 above now.  

I guess it is warming up.  For the curious  the coldest temperature recorded in the contiguous U.S. is 70 degrees below zero, measured at Rogers Pass, Montana, on Jan. 20, 1954.  Of course that was before global warming.

• Like 1

actually "polar vortex" has been the official term for these super cold snaps for decades...it's just that the current weather terrorists, er forecasters, like the new "cool" (pun intended) term that freaks people out!

Everyone loves those "catch phrases". They drive me nuts... And why do we need to have names for winter storms now???? I was out driving around through a little snow storm on Monday. Most people were freaking out and hunkering down because "Winter Storm Beth" was sweeping through the state. We got around 8-10" throughout the day and I put on over 500 miles to go visit a customer up north. I didn't think much about it. It's winter in Wisconsin...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when did the forecast media meet and collaborate on inclusion of this catch word?  I am with Merle, I hated meetings with the pretty paper people....they have no clue what it takes to get the job done but they know how to tie a bow on it....as an analyst for 14 years...alas, I was one of them said people...man am glad I got out of that and back to at least a semblance of hands-on…..QA....(let the hater rant.....lol)

Yeah, we've got record snowfall for this time of year, but no record lows.  Snow yesterday just missed making this January the snowiest month on record, (not supposed to snow again until Feb. 1), but still not the coldest.  Today we're getting the fringes of the PV, but temps are "normal", 4 or 5 for a high, -6 for the low, and it's a beautiful sunny day.  My son and his family live in Michigan, they had some brutal cold, but no records that we've been told of yet.   I've always found it interesting when I talk to "old timers" when we lived in MI, NY, and now here, they remember that the winters of their youth were like the current weather.  People around here lament a perceived lack of snow and temperatures that aren't cold enough to blunt the spring bugs...you know...like it used to be...  But, I'm with ggdad, I live where I do because I want to, I know winter is not many folks' cup of tea, but I like it, just as much as the other seasons.  Folks from the southwest ask me what do I do when it's -40 out?  Same as they do when it's 110 in the shade, stay indoors as much as possible. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert
typo

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Everyone loves those "catch phrases". They drive me nuts... And why do we need to have names for winter storms now???? I was out driving around through a little snow storm on Monday. Most people were freaking out and hunkering down because "Winter Storm Beth" was sweeping through the state. We got around 8-10" throughout the day and I put on over 500 miles to go visit a customer up north. I didn't think much about it. It's winter in Wisconsin...

actually the first use of "polar vortex" can be traced back to 1853....so....

naming snow storms gives the weather terrorists something to do.

Meanwhile Chicago got more play nationally for the weather than did Minnesota....and MN was on average 15-20° COLDER....but we have to worry about Chicago...

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

actually the first use of "polar vortex" can be traced back to 1853....so....

naming snow storms gives the weather terrorists something to do.

Meanwhile Chicago got more play nationally for the weather than did Minnesota....and MN was on average 15-20° COLDER....but we have to worry about Chicago...

I am thinking the cold weather is getting to you, you have been kinda crabby lately. 

I have been working all week in and outside all day long. It’s Wisconsin!! It’s ok. Don’t start wearing a hat and gloves  in October,  you get soft and depend on them. You won’t see gloves or a hat on me until it hits zero or if I riding in a Ford so no body recognizes me.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Todd B said:

I am thinking the cold weather is getting to you, you have been kinda crabby lately. 

I have been working all week in and outside all day long. It’s Wisconsin!! It’s ok. Don’t start wearing a hat and gloves  in October,  you get soft and depend on them. You won’t see gloves or a hat on me until it hits zero or if I riding in a Ford so no body recognizes me.  

get off my lawn...

• Haha 1

Vermont: The NWS said the low for last night would be -5. When I got up this morning they said it was 3 above. My weather station said it was -21. Why do I keep checking the NWS?

When I lived in Minnesota we had -35 officially one night. Some small town in northern MN had -70. I was living in Chicago in 1985 when they set the record there. Lake Michigan was frozen solid as far out as you could see.

Oh well. The car started and I'm at work. Life goes on.

Pete

I agree Merle. But we still go out in the—————-.cold and do our job. And most of us just do our job without whining about the weather.  Just keep in mind by Sunday the weather will be 60 degrees warmer than yesterday. 

Man I love Wisconsin!!!

Just a side note about 10 years ago it was 60 degrees out on January 12 so we decided to go for a motorcycle ride.  Everything was fine until we stayed in the bar until way after dark and the roads froze over.  I ended up getting a very expensive ride in a helicopter with a broken neck.  

And yes Merle I know you teach bike class and I am sure that you would not have advised my decision. And yes I learned my lesson.  

3 hours ago, Todd B said:

Just a side note about 10 years ago it was 60 degrees out on January 12 so we decided to go for a motorcycle ride.  Everything was fine until we stayed in the bar until way after dark and the roads froze over.  I ended up getting a very expensive ride in a helicopter with a broken neck.  

And yes Merle I know you teach bike class and I am sure that you would not have advised my decision. And yes I learned my lesson.  

I was OK with it until, "we stayed in the bar until...". I would advise against that practice in any weather when traveling on 2 wheels. ?

We had a wee nipper of a spell a couple weeks back.  Snow started a7 pm and ended about 9:30 am. Got 14 inches.  Got the drive way done and then moved the cars to brush them off where I could deal with what came off the cars.  I have a fourth inch high retaining wall and a five foot hedge along the driveway that needs a good snow blower to lift it up and over. The joys of living in the lea of Lake Ontario.

When we were kids going to wait for the school bus, we figured it wasn't cold unless your nostrils froze shut with the first breath out doors.  Then in school we had a section of science class where they followed the International Geophysical year..  part of that was about a bunch of navy scientist studying conditions at the north pole.  I believe it was this bunch in 1963 or so named the phenomenon of evaporational cooling in winter "the wind chill effect"!  Before that it was just GD cold out. Had  to do with he effect that wind has in the perception of cold on exposed skin.  Our solution cover as much as you could or No Naked Snowball Fights.  So now we got to deal with wind chill, lake effect with higher accumulations north of the Thruway and in hilly areas to the south,polor vortex, odd and even side parking, and layering of moisute wicking underwear!