My mechanical fuel pump has an integrated fuel filter, but some flatheads have a filter attached to the carburetor inlet. Since the fuel pump has a filter already, is the carb filter really necessary or is it just extra insurance?

Integrated Fuel Filter                                                                           Carburetor Fuel Filter

472045250_FuelPumpandFilter.jpg.d299a6c528c9d652fe51ed10d74ee892.jpg 1129510791_CarburetorFuelFilter.jpg.91bce2a10bbacd0fc036f33aa3d2a267.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

1 hour ago, Reg Evans said:

Does someone sell a fuel pump block off plate.  I can find them for Chevy and Ford but not for Mopar.

I would say 2 filters are better than 1.

Buy a scrap of plate steel a little bigger than your fuel pump base.....scribe the outline, grind til acceptable and drill 2 holes use the fuel pump gasket and your are in business.

16 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Does someone sell a fuel pump block off plate.  I can find them for Chevy and Ford but not for Mopar.

Vintage power wagons sells them for $10. The part number is FPBOP.  You'll have to make your own gasket.

Edited by lonejacklarry
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

You could make one for almost nothing, and a gasket out of a hamburger helper box you've already got at the house anyway......finish up the job and go inside and have supper...mmmm, cheesy mac.

I prefer cereal boxes :) I made some out of mountain dew cases for my 46 back when I got it too. 

• Like 1

Here's another detail that has me wondering... the carburetor inlet fitting is a 5/16 inverted-flare female. The outlet port on the fuel filter has pipe threads. Is there a standard fitting available for connecting the fuel filter to the carburetor inlet? The right fitting must exist, but I'm not finding it for some reason. The parts stores are not much help when it comes to fittings and I would like to avoid wasting time and money on an online ordering mistake.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
wording

I don't think it is possible to over filter fuel these days. Also if you have deleted the mechanical pump in favor of an electric then it is a good idea to have a real good filter ahead of your electric pump. I have been using large sealed canister filters on my truck and they get changed at 10k mile intervals. Seems to work very well. There is often a lot of crap suspended in under ground storage tanks. You definitely want to do what you can to keep it out of your carb and engine.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

Here's another detail that has me wondering... the carburetor inlet fitting is a 5/16 double-flare female. The outlet port on the fuel filter has pipe threads. Is there a standard fitting available for connecting the fuel filter to the carburetor inlet? The right fitting must exist, but I'm not finding it for some reason. The parts stores are not much help when it comes to fittings and I would like to avoid wasting time and money on an online ordering mistake.

I think you can remove the carb fitting and put a nipple between the two.

Check the plumbing isle of your local hardware store. You need a male pipe to female inverted flare fitting. They are commonly available in various sizes. Most auto parts store computer jockeys wouldn't know an inverted flare fitting if it hit them in the nose... If they can't find it in their computer, "We don't have it".

EDIT: Oops, I read it wrong. I was thinking you needed a fitting for the fuel pump to go from the pipe thread to inverted flare line. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

The last few times that I rebuilt a carb, there was a new brass male-male fitting in the rebuild kit that screwed into the carb...its bore had a seat for the float needle valve, and the fuel filter body screws onto that fitting...I had to put teflon tape on the threads so that the body would orient horizontal :cool:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

Here's another detail that has me wondering... the carburetor inlet fitting is a 5/16 double-flare female. The outlet port on the fuel filter has pipe threads. Is there a standard fitting available for connecting the fuel filter to the carburetor inlet? The right fitting must exist, but I'm not finding it for some reason. The parts stores are not much help when it comes to fittings and I would like to avoid wasting time and money on an online ordering mistake.

It's a special fitting because of the needle seat required at one end.

Both styles shown...

Needle and Seat Carter Ball and Ball  (3).JPG

Needle and Seat Carter Ball and Ball  (1).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

It's a special fitting because of the needle seat required at one end.

Both styles shown...

Needle and Seat Carter Ball and Ball  (3).JPG

Needle and Seat Carter Ball and Ball  (1).JPG

yep, now that he jogs my memory, he is correct!

• Like 1

Problem solved. Head scratching over.

I didn't know there are two different types of special fittings for the carburetor inlet. A special thanks to JBNeal for mentioning a rebuild kit as a possible source and to Dodgeb4ya for posting what they look like. I ordered a rebuild kit from DCM and, sure enough, the kit had both types of fittings. I'm guessing that the male/male is for use when installing the fuel filter and the male/female is for use without the filter. Here's what my kit contained...Thanks to all who posted replies.

20190205_152746_resized.jpg.417977bb2428997c05264cb2527886bd.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
better wording.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...