Speedometer cable

Notg15

Is anyone willing to pull their speedometer cable core (the part that actually spins) and measure it for me? Mine is missing and I found a cut to length kit but I’d like to know how long to cut it. My cars a 1950 Special Deluxe sedan with manual trans. Thanks in advance!

Notg15

I don't think I would try for a fitting from some one else's cable length. Some are longer or shorter due to model years and cable routing. I am going to guess your kit has one end that is squared and the other has a cap that is crimped on. If so, disconnect the cable housing at the speedo and the tranny. Feed the cable thru it so the squared end is at the speedo. reconnect the speedo end and spin it to (a) make sure it is engaged in the speedo and (b) to make sure the speedo works. Then at the tranny connection see how deep the cable goes in to the tranny. Measure the depth the cable goes into the tranny and the depth of the connector that connects to the tranny. (so if the cable depth is 3/4" and the connector cap is 1/2" deep, cut it 1/4" past the connector cap. This will give you the exact length needed. You might want to go about a 1/8" longer to ensure a good fit.) and crimp the piece onto the cable and connect it to the tranny. Before crimping the cap on, I would do a test fit and make sure it isn't to long. You know what they say measure twice and cut once. You can cut to long, but if you cut to short you are hosed.

Make sure to lube the cable with your choice of grease before final connections are done. (I use white lithium grease.) Also on the speedo , just above the cable hook-up, there should be a small brass tube with a wick in it. This is the lube port for the speedo. I use a light machine oil for this. I believe your shop manual specifies type and frequency of lube. 

Thanks for the advice! I already cut one too short. I’ll do it the way you recommended I just figured that the crimped side would have to go in the speedo. I’m hoping to get the old girl out and about this weekend as we are looking at almost 60 degrees. 

You can put the crimped side in the speedo or the tranny, your choice. Once you've got the length, pull the cable out of the sleeve and reverse it. I do it that way so it will be easier to measure. There's more room at the tranny connection than up under the dash and you can see what your doing a whole lot easier. What ever end you put the crimp on, DO NOT pull it through the sleeve housing. If it snags and comes off...You're hosed.

Joe

Edited by soth122003