Oil Leak from Filter when hot

FmShultz13

Ive got a 218 that runs like a top with about 50 psi oil pressure when cold and about 40psi when hot. However once the engine warms up oil begins to leak from the lid of the oil filter where it meets the body. It is the style that takes the reusable metal filter and has the center bolt to tighten the lid down. What would cause this?

Could be the cork or rubber gasket is missing at the top.

My first guess is the gasket is missing or has been broken. Most were cork so they split from being over tighten.  Go to your napa store and get some cork with rubber gasket material and make a new gasket or see if you can find one to fit your lid.  The lid has to be snug to prevent any leakage.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

New gasket, snug lid down gently, try again.  And yes, check the bolt gasket as well.  If this doesn't work then you can try some of the other things the guys mentioned.  

If the bolt is bottoming out before the lid is tight, you can always zip part of it off with a cut off wheel. Worst case scenario I guess.  

if it is leaking around the bolt for the lid then get a rubber o-ring and then roll it over the bolt head and under the bottom of the bolt head. Then when you tighten down on the bolt this will compress the o-ring and might solve your leaking issue. You will have to take th elid with you to the store to get the correct o-ring.

just a thought to solve your issue.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Does anybody happen to know the thread size for the fuel inlet on the stock carter ball and ball carb? Im running dual carbs now and would like to swap the hard line for a barb fitting that threads directly into the carb.

Edited by FmShultz13

Step 1. check and see if the oil filter container is out of round. If it is bent in or out just a bit it will leak.

Step 2. Check the lid for deformities that won't let the seal seat right, including debris or a crack in the seal track.

Step 3. If 1 and 2 are good, try using a cork gasket. Set the lid on the cork gasket material and trace around it with a pen, then cut it out. Measure the width of the gasket seat in the lid and add 1/4" to it. cut it out and set it on the filter container place lid over it and snug it down. run it and check for leaks if it weeps or leaks tighten one half tune on the bolt and try again.

Step 4. If it is still leaking, you might want to consider replacing the filter assy.

My guess is either one or two is the problem. 

Joe Lee

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for jumping in here but I have the same problem for a while now.

I've done all the mentioned fixes above and still have the small leak.

I will be due for an oil change in the coming weeks and the only other thing I thought of is maybe the drain back to the engine could be partially plugged not letting the oil drain back fast enough and the pressure is pushing out the oil where the cap seals.

Mine has been seeping for the last two oil changes.

I'm going to remove the filter housing and hard line and blow out the passage's 

Anybody ever encounter a partial or any blockage in the return side?

Thanks.

I just changed my oil yesterday. Put the new gasket on and it leaked like it was shot. Pulled the lid off and the gasket had slipped on one side. When putting a new gasket on apply a small bead of grease on the lid at the seal track to hold seal in place. This will keep the seal from slipping when you put the lid on. Don't know why I forgot that part, getting old I guess. 

Hey FmShultz, I noticed just now when you said the engine warms up that it leaks. Does it leak when the engine is cold on first starting? If it doesn't leak when the engine is cold, I would say you have a small crack and the hot oil  and the pressure makes it spread just a bit and is causing the leak. Once the engine is warm and it is leaking find the approximate spot where it is leaking, shut it down and check that area with a magnifying glass. If it has a crack you might be able to braise or solder the crack and stop the leak.

Joe Lee

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2019 at 6:47 PM, Local2ED said:

My apologies for jumping in here but I have the same problem for a while now.

I've done all the mentioned fixes above and still have the small leak.

I will be due for an oil change in the coming weeks and the only other thing I thought of is maybe the drain back to the engine could be partially plugged not letting the oil drain back fast enough and the pressure is pushing out the oil where the cap seals.

Mine has been seeping for the last two oil changes.

I'm going to remove the filter housing and hard line and blow out the passage's 

Anybody ever encounter a partial or any blockage in the return side?

Thanks.

I forgot about this post.

When I did the oil change I spoke of I noticed that the bottom 25% of the oil filter and the bottom of the canister were coated with a gray paste-like substance that was hindering the drain-back of the oil. I believe it was the STP oil treatment with ZDDP that was the cause because I had been using it for a few oil changes.

I always by my oil in 5 gallon pails so after I cleaned out the canister blew out the lines  I used the same brand oil without the additive and have never had it leak again.

"Booger" is my 3rd plymmie. So Iwas familiar with the drop in oil filter. Wait..the top dont come off..

It's a 1 PC sealed thingie. But it dont leak. Canister and all get pitched. 

I would think that a relatively clean motor could use this for a few changes, or 5000 miles. They're not free $57. But they dont leak.

Anyone?