Newly found difference in B1/2 and B3/4 doors?

ggdad1951

I noticed something odd working on TODD's doors this weekend.  Something I don't know if anyone has ever pointed out before:

the metal thickness of the top hinge mount (cab side) metal is different & hinge on the door is a different length.  I have several doors of both vintages and it seems to be consistent.  The B3/4 door hinge mount (cab side) is thicker metal & hinge is shorter than on  the B1/2.  I was trying to put a B3/4 mount on a B1/2 door and it physically won't fit.  There is about a 1/16" difference.

I ALSO found a B1/2 top hinge that doesn't have the embossment on it that I have on EVERY other one I have, the part that slides in the slot on the jamb is dead flat.  Anyone else ever seen that?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I first got DC Pete (1949 B1B) resorered in 1980 my drunken buddy backed into my drivers door. I ran to the local junkyard and got a new door and the body shop installed and painted it.  It wasn’t until years later I realized I had a different door than the passenger side. It was off of a 51-53. So when I built my 53 Semi I robbed the drivers door and put on the semi.  

A few years ago when my son started getting DC Pete painted (again) I gave him a 50 1.5 Ton door to use I robbed off a parts truck. The body shop could not get the hinges to work so some very nice gentleman on the forum sent me a set of hinges from a 49 and it fit perfectly, I apologize for not remembering who sent me the hinges but he refused to let me pay for them. I believe the hinges may have varied within the three years. 

• Like 1