fueling questions for 48 218 flatty 6

48p15sdccoupe

im looking at some different fueling options for my 218.......one route is a dual carb setup the second is a 2bbl holley sniper efi i ran across....the efi is really the way i wanna go but im not sure as to if it will "over fuel" the 218. the setup i found is for a jeep cj 258 i-6 with the specs of fuel pressure: 58.5psi with 100lb/hr 58.5psi injectors. i also plan on a split manifold header from reds and possibly an aluminum finned head from montana speed....still in the planning stages of all this so any and all input is greatly appriciated. as i would like to keep the original motor in it and just "hop it up". thanks everyone.

EFI can deal with fuel needs due to the computer and the sensor in the exhaust that tells the computer the air/fuel ration and adjust the pulse time of the injectors.

If your car has true duals/front to back you will need two a/f sensors to adjust the front 3 separate from the back three cylinders as needed.

Will the Holly FI work on two a/f sensors ??

Love the idea, hope you do use something like this and post your results!   I'm surely interested as some others will most likely be also. ?

DJ

One other way to combat using 2 Oxygen sensors is to put a crossover tube in the exhaust with sensor in the middle of the cross. This may give a little horsepower boost.

If you are looking for power increases, it will be very difficult if not impossible to improve on a good dual carb setup on this motor. EFI, especially TBI will be more efficient at many power settings, but a carb setup works really well at higher RPM/power settings. If you had access to each individual cylinder intake port, then port-injection might be the way to go, but these MoPar flatties don't work that way.

Bottom line, for all the hassle and $$$ of EFI, you may get longer lasting plugs and 1 or 2 better MPG, but no more power than with carbs.

Kind of a general rule of thumb with these....streetable hopped up 218 kinda emulates a factory 230 which when hopped up mild kinda emulates a factory 250ish, etc......

So, power.....not so much compared to putting in just about any more modern engine.   But, good weber carbs or efi when pared with real electronic ignition (not pertonix) and a smooth and steady 12v alternator.....that'll make a solid flat head start easy, run smooth and pull just a bit harder, sort of bring out the best a flathead in good condition has to offer.

In any event, stock motor or hopped, you will get your best performance benefits from changing the rear gear and paring it up with an overdrive transmission.  If i was working towards an efficient daily driver with a  flathead, i'd move by spending my money and time back to front putting ot first where it'll do the most good.

Edited by Sharps40