New 37 DeSoto Project

HTandB

Howdy all, brand new to the forum and wanted to throw out a picture of a new project.  Just picked up a 1937 DeSoto S3.  Body is in great shape and mostly complete - think the only thing missing is one of the fender supports for the front.  I'm guessing it was originally an '80s or 90's build, The car is sitting on a '79 Volare subframe and rear end, it had a slant 6 but it just had a 318 and 727 transplanted... then the previous owner lost interest.  It's a really nice solid start and I'm looking forward to getting going on it, along with the subframe, the wiring and instruments from the Volare were used.  Think my first step is going to be to rewire the car and get the correct dash and new gauges into it.

Anyone have any thoughts on if the original radiator is sufficient for the 318? 

Cheers!

Ryan

20190126_130034 [50%].jpg

20190127_132732 [50%].jpg

20190127_132812 [50%].jpg

20190127_132713 [50%].jpg

• Like 3

Hello and welcome. You have what looks like a nice rare coupe there with plenty of potential. The 318 and 727 combo is an excellent choice. Both of my '67 Plymouth Fury's have the same set up. I do see on your coupe that the windshield wipers are mounted on the cowl rather than the roof which would make this car a '38 I believe. A '37 would have a crank open windshield and the wiper placement above the windshield. The grille and headlight placements are different between the two years as well. Your car does appear to to have a '37 front bumper. Good luck to you on your build.

John R

37 coupe.jpg

Thanks John, you are correct on the wipers being in the wrong location, but the car is a '37, when a previous owner did the Volare' swap they moved everything from one car to the other...that included the electric interval wipers, which they mounted at the cowl and filled the upper holes and deleted the windshield trim.  It's kinda' a shame aesthetically, I prefer the overhead wiper look and the windshield trim, having said that, it's nice to have electric wipers. :) Someone put a lot of work into the swap.  The front clip, grill and headlights on mine are all as pictured above

I was really happy to find the forum here, there's a lot of great knowledge in the community.

With the current clearance, I almost have the height under the hood for another engine :) 

The air cleaner is just a place holder, it came on the car when I bought it.   Personally I'm not a fan of either the look or the performance of the short foam filters, there are much better breathing options.  The pictures of the car are essentially "as found",  there's a lot here that needs to be updated/ fixed/ modified and changed, but I think I got pretty lucky on the buy.

• Like 1

OP....received your email on the part and responded with phone number.  

From your photos above, that is not an original 37/38 DPCD radiator.   Appears to be a new style replacement (or adapted from another newer model car - note the cut up bracketry on the side and cap in the wrong spot) with a much smaller thinner core than the original cellular radiator had.   As to whether it'll cool your v8, you'll just have to see.

Edited by Sharps40

On the radiator, it looks like the core for the slant 6 that was previously in it. I'd be concerned of it's potential to cool the 318.

My close friend has a '48 Plymouth Super Dlx  coup with a warmed over 273 SBM. He originally had a Mustang radiator and it hot. Had the '48 radiator cleaned and checked, and of overheat. Short answer, your cleaned stock radiator will be fine.

Edited by ACJCF2

Ryan,  Your '37 DeSoto is very similar to my '39 Plym conv cpe, as I recall the rear fenders for all of the 37-39 DPCD cars were the same. I have a set of '37 DeSoto bumpers to use on my Plym if I want to change the look. The '37 bumpers with the over-rider guards are almost worth their weight in gold.

On your question about a radiator: I used an aluminum radiator form Summit Racing. It was meant to be a cross flow which we stood up. Used an electric fan with a built in shroud. Works great on the SBC 330 hp Vortec engine that has AC, PB, AT trans on a FatMan front clip.

I noted the bucket seats in your car.. They look a little out of place with the big risers. I used buckets from an 85-87 BMW 325 2 dr, they are a much better fit in a '30 model small bodied coupe. Wm

39 Plym conv.7-14-6.jpg

39 Plym.6-05.3.JPG

39 Plym.6-05.1.JPG

Edited by blucarsdn

• 4 weeks later...