Sleepless nights

pflaming

I have experienced a lot of what I read above but in my case I always blamed 30yrs of working rotating shifts changing every 7 days as being the cause of my "body-clock" being totally out of whack. Finally retired I thought my sleep would improve with time but it never did, I would awaken in the morning exhausted though I had slept. Finally I off-handily mentioned my plight to our family Doctor while accompanying my wife on her Dr. appointment. He asked me a few questions and said I was suffering from what he suspected to be sleep-apnea.

What followed was the wearing of a halter device during a night in my own bed and then a night spent in a sleep lab where I was monitored for 6hrs of what passed as sleep for me.

The lab reported that I never get into the stages of restful sleep, never hit the REM stage where you dream and recharge. I was also told I have restless leg syndrome and that my legs woke me 168 times during the 6hr test besides the awakenings I was experiencing due the cessation of my breathing due to the sleep apnea.

I was advised to stop wearing Crocs Clogs which I lived in to help with the leg issues and I was prescribed a cpap machine to use during the night. I now go to sleep wearing a mask that is reminiscent of what Mig fighter pilots wore in the 1950`s. I won`t say I like it but it does work, if I can get through at least 4hrs a night wearing it I wake feeling rested. When I don`t use it I wake up feeling exhausted and totally unrest-ed again. So I  wear it and I don`t know if I ever will grow to like it but I do like the rest it provides and yes now I have dreams again but that is a whole other story..

On 1/27/2019 at 8:23 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

want to go to sleep...get a military tech manual on some heavy electronics and about the time you get 2-3 pages into the theory of operation you will be asleep...note to all who try this...place the book in a position so that when you fall asleep, it does not fall and awaken you.  

OR.....

go outside and dig up a big oak tree stump and then fill the hole and landscape the area so you can build a patio...….work up a good tired......you will get a good rest....

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

Don't be such a cheapskate and buy one of these

grinder.jpg

One time my pappy and a couple of other guys decided to use half a stick of dynamite and a bunch of fertilizer\diesel fuel to blow a big cypress stump out on the farm. The explosion blew pretty much all the rest of the dirt out but the stump was still there. Dad, being a practical guy;  looked at the stump and said "That'll make it a lot easier to cut that stump out!"

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Don't be such a cheapskate and buy one of these

grinder.jpg

I would have to go into full time grinding business to pay for one of these...Vemeer is expensive...Vemeer dealer is 1/2 mile from me in beautiful downtown Elko.....

I had one guy who promised me on three occasions that he would grind that stump for me....I watched as he and his crew sat idle for 6 hours waiting for the man to prep a tree for felling in my neighbors yard...guess he did not need the money for overhead to be able to lounge about in said manner...HIs grinding equipment all along was less than 200 feet from the stump....him and his crew of three...sat over 6 hours....amazing is all I can say...I do not expect him to stay in business long.....I would never refer him.

So, you are so rooted in your be-leafs that there wood be no stumping for this man's business? How will he ever be able to spread out to open other branches if you don't rake in some customers? I think your bark is worse than your bite you old weeping willow!

I'll go sit in Andy's corner now.....lol. I'm nothing but deadwood in this forest....ouch:eek:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

as of this morning I am rained out.....but so far have gone from a stump in the ground to this......fire pit, edgers, landscape and clean up landscape left to do..in time there will be a matching walk way to the other set of steps to the right and a small pad at the water fountain.

IMG_2480.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

as of this morning I am rained out.....but so far have gone from a stump in the ground to this......fire pit, edgers, landscape and clean up landscape left to do..in time there will be a matching walk way to the other set of steps to the right and a small pad at the water fountain.

IMG_2480.JPG

Very nicely done 

thought retirement meant time to start slowing down??

I guess you did not get the Email or Memo??  ?

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

am at a stopping point...got a bit other work to do about the house....cut out the Adirondack chairs and sanded the pieces today for 4 chairs.  Looks a bit different with the sand in the cracks and the birdbath addition.  Walkway to the fountain and other steps later.....also planted a bit of grass seed on the apron today.

IMG_2493.JPG

• Like 1

I feel for you....I do not care for snow.....I loved snow as a kid.....now so much today.  We were only 74 today...last Friday we hit about 82....I was working today to beat the rain.....the rain did not come after all but it sure felt like it was about to cut loose.  Get my chairs built and it break in the fire pit time....!

Any concern of the remainder of the stump rotting out overtime. And your beautiful brick pavers settling.  Looks very nice and I am very envious of your green grass 

I like that even your newer cars in the background are Mopar. Our T&C has been a solid little van.  Same color as yours.  Our grass isn't green yet, just a few weeks though.

I had to remove a much smaller tree a couple of weeks ago.  Small enough that a shovel, axe and Tundra in 4whl lo got it done!

What kind of wood did you use for the chairs?  I've thought of making some of those but the material I'd like to use is really expensive here.

I used treated lumber of the newer variety what does not contain arsenic as was called for by the plans I found online, decking grade lumber...it is severe weather rated but not for below grade ever.....I am in the process of sourcing my cushions which will further isolate one from the chairs and they can then still stay in the weather, (they heavy to move about) and with the application of the cushion be totally comfortable and keepa ya butt dry....cushion will run me locally about 65.00 for the set of 4.  They will stay on the screened porch when not in use.  Should last a good time that way.   They are coming from the same company that I got for my chairs and swing on the screened in porch...they holding up great.

some lumbers are quite expensive....and even at that....while giving you a good return for your money in line of service, still a bit hard to justify.   Adding the cost of deck screws of 4 sizes, gorilla glue and my wood, I figure the cost of material alone is 35.00 per chair....I cut and sanded and stacked the pieces on Tuesday afternoon...assembled on Wednesday....cost two hours of rework adjusting the plans and trimming the wood for what I thought a better fit....totally worth it...! 

My son now wants a set of these chairs...…..I will loan him the drawings and the use of the wood shop....

calling it done for now......

fire pit cover courtesy of a neighbor cleaning his yard......repurposed an old glass door knob for a lift handle....cleaned and painted the table top, it's made of aluminum....I like this....!

Mums contribution to the project, she snagged a set of cushions for the chairs.....am thinking hamburgers tonight.....

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks, the brick are paver stones in the Ashland series available at Lowes and other builder supply houses I would guess.    The diamond blade at 4 1/2 inch diameter at HF cut the pavers like butter....it is to stone what carbide is to wood....very impressed....one blade cut all the stones....but let me tell you, it was at its limit...!  It is not as if I can't sleep, I go out there at night and sit on the screened porch or patio....drink a bit of coffee....listen to the quiet..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

17 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

.listen to the quiet..

Listening to the quiet is why I like the EARLY hours of the day.  No trains, planes, traffic, dogs, family, etc.. 

the trains pulling out of waysides in the small town next county over is excellent to listen too...there is a slight grade coming to Elko and man do those engines really display a good grunt, the power just fills the air.....south bound trains, they almost on top of you before you hear them, they just a horn blast as they roll through.  They like most other things...unless you listening for them during normal course of the day...they go by unnoticed for the most part...with you stating you deaf without your hearing aids...you have the option to turn the world off.  My uncle was deaf, my aunt Edna would start harping this or that to him, he would look at her and say as he tweaked the volume of the hearing aid, I'm turning you off Edna.!