Sleepless nights

pflaming

Seems to be one of the afflictions of age, along with arthritis, loss of hearing, poor balance, unwanted weight gain, on and on. These are called the Golden Years because of how much gold it takes to get through them.

I too have those nights, often caused by pain ... for example when I need to mow the grass, I wont sleep that night as my legs throb with pain.

I get over it.

And looking at the work you have been doing on your project the last few days, would not be surprised if you feeling a lil pain yourself ....

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Anyone else with the same? Maybe get two continuous hours at most. Frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Todd B said:

I heard on talk radio a while back a phobia called FOMO. which stands for Fear Of Missing Out. 

Maybe that’s why you can’t sleep. 

this has all the ear marking of big pharmacy and a new series of designer drugs for the folks that think that the road to health and happiness comes in little orange bottles...

We grab 2 or 3 grand babies and keep them all day.....let them do whatever they want and sugar them up good before sending them home to our daughters...payback...lol...then you clean up what is left of the house, eat a light meal and hit the rack so exhausted you don't wake up until the rooster pecks on your window.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I'm worried and I can't sleep, i count my blessings instead of sheep.  Hey, there's a song that goes something like that.  I tell my wife, when she can't sleep, to think beautiful thoughts.  Gee, thanks, she says. 

I find myself lying awake some nights.  I tell myself that maybe I didn't need that much sleep, figuring all the naps I took that day.  So, I'll get into mind games.  Systematically plan that minor home repair;  anticipate some upcoming event; remember something from the past, until I remember what I should have said; think of something else . 

Consider bowling pins and the rule of 78s.  The pins are set up in four rows; one in the first row, 2 in the second, etc, till there are 10 pins.  Next would be 15, then 21, etc.  If you set up 12 rows, it would take 78 pins.  Our antique clock chimes the hours.  Each half day takes a total of 78 chimes.  In the old days, before computers, the rule of 78s was used when a car loan was paid off early.  Something like a number of months divied by 78 would determine the proration for the last month's interest.  Are you asleep yet?     

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo; damn, I reread it several times.

want to go to sleep...get a military tech manual on some heavy electronics and about the time you get 2-3 pages into the theory of operation you will be asleep...note to all who try this...place the book in a position so that when you fall asleep, it does not fall and awaken you.  

OR.....

go outside and dig up a big oak tree stump and then fill the hole and landscape the area so you can build a patio...….work up a good tired......you will get a good rest....

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

x2 on the melatonin... get the 10 mg tablets. Cheap and non prescription. I didn't like the prescription drugs because they left me too drowsy the next day. I was getting as low as 3 hrs a night and these really helped me get back to a more normal sleep pattern. 

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, it is related to getting "older". Don't worry about it. When your body is exhausted, from worry, work, or running after the grandkids, your body will take care to give you the sleep you need. Try to stop listening to the chiming clock too, which only reinforces how long you've been awake. 

Although the Drs. and their ilk recommend at least 8 hours, remember that is an average among millions of people.  My Dad can't sleep more than 6 ours at night.  He's tried to sleep more, but just can't, and doesn't feel any repercussions the next day.  As Dodgeed noted, your body is best at determining what you need, absent any afflictions.  And your body changes (duh).  I only sleep a few hours at a time myself, it is indeed annoying, but only mildly so.  I'd be worried about it depending on how I feel when I get up for the day.  If you're worried about it, definitely ask your Dr.  Sleep/rest is important, especially for a sunshiny and annoyingly cheerful disposition... 

• Like 1

I have changed my sleep patterns in the last Few years.  Used to watch the 11;00 news then go to bed.  Then I would toss and turn till 2am or so when I had to go to the John. Then I would fall asleep.  Now I watch the news, grab a book and read till 2 or 2:30, then I do my John stop and then go to bed.  Usually wake up at 5:3O for another pit stop and crawl back in til 8:30 or so.  So six to seven hours.  Plus an after noon 40 winks.  When I get to bed and still have aresless mind, In mentally re wire my P 15. Or build a 32 Plymouth based speedster...

By the way has anybody had any experience with eithe leather or fabric body construction???

Edited by greg g

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, Todd B said:

I heard on talk radio a while back a phobia called FOMO. which stands for Fear Of Missing Out. 

Yeah.....that's me. I work nights....when I hit the hay at 9:00am I have a difficult time getting past that

urge to stay up and get a few more things done....cuz well....the sun is out and its a nice day.

Its what it is.....

48D

On 1/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Todd B said:

Could be worse - you could have FoMoCo!?

• Haha 1

I don't have any problems getting to sleep or going back to sleep when nature calls at night. When I was younger I walked in my sleep a lot. Started when I was a kid and went on until I was in my 30's. Imagine some wild eyed guy walking into your bedroom at 2:00 a.m. saying "What was that? I saw something red!!" I've been told I asked that question a lot. Now I just wake up screaming sometimes.. Sometimes, not always; it wakes me up and when it does I'm usually laughing by the time I'm conscious. My wife thinks I have a problem but after 48 years she's given up trying to figure it out. She recently started keeping a baseball bat by the bed, supposedly in case of intruders but I wonder..?

I'm feeling the years fly by as I hit 48 this year. My wife and I work M-F. Up early every day. Before 6 AM. Start work at 7. I get a good nite's sleep. You'd swear there was a brick in my pillow. When I lay on it, it knocks me out. I literally take seconds to fall asleep when I go to bed. We've developed into a working routine. However, sleeping in on days off? Not possible. Up at 6AM every weekend. Out late for a special event? Home at 2 AM, after a fair share of libations? Up at 6 AM.  Taking a one-week vacation from work is pretty much useless. It takes me 7 full days, off work, before I start sleeping past 6AM. After a week, finally I can sleep in a little later. 

You folks that can't seem to sleep more than two hours, has this always been a thing? Or only once you seemed to hit a certain age? When you can't sleep does the Mrs. get annoyed? Tossing and turning? As mentioned, when I awake at 6AM on my days off work, I may try to go back to sleep. I toss and turn. My wife knows I'm awake. Every time I move I disrupt her. LOL. So I sneak out of the room at 6 AM now and hit the coffee at the other end of the house. In the winter months, I'll cruise forums like this one and kill some time 'till the sun comes up. Summer time, I am outside banging hammers and wrenches by 6:30AM or so. She can sleep in. I can't.

Edited by keithb7

Our youngest son was a sleep walker. He is a tall 6'4 and very strong. One morning in his early 20's. He dove through n unopened bedroom window. We found him in the back yard, bleeding excessively. Webput a tounaquet on hos arm. The kitchen looked like a slaughterhouse when we left for the hospital. When we walked in, we went to the head of the line. Returned home some eight hours later with neatly 100 stitches to fix it all up. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, pflaming said:

Our youngest son was a sleep walker. He is a tall 6'4 and very strong. One morning in his early 20's. He dove through n unopened bedroom window. We found him in the back yard, bleeding excessively. Webput a tounaquet on hos arm. The kitchen looked like a slaughterhouse when we left for the hospital. When we walked in, we went to the head of the line. Returned home some eight hours later with neatly 100 stitches to fix it all up. 

That sounds awful. Here I thought I had it bad; two of the grand children sleep walk. When they stay w/us, the boy, who is now 15, and taller than me, gets up and moves around asking questions, then goes back to bed on his own; the girl, age 7, will get up, carry on a full conversation, which is pretty much nonsense, and then goes back to bed, w/assistance from us. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:30 PM, pflaming said:

Wow!! That's scary! I never did more than walk around asking dumb questions and disturbing everyone else's sleep.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:20 PM, keithb7 said:

I'm feeling the years fly by as I hit 48 this year.

You folks that can't seem to sleep more than two hours, has this always been a thing? Or only once you seemed to hit a certain age? When you can't sleep does the Mrs. get annoyed? Tossing and turning? As mentioned, when I awake at 6AM on my days off work, I may try to go back to sleep. I toss and turn. My wife knows I'm awake. Every time I move I disrupt her. LOL. So I sneak out of the room at 6 AM now and hit the coffee at the other end of the house. In the winter months, I'll cruise forums like this one and kill some time 'till the sun comes up. Summer time, I am outside banging hammers and wrenches by 6:30AM or so. She can sleep in. I can't.

48, huh? You geezers crack me up! ? Enjoy your youth, get back to me in 20 years and tell me if you still have that much energy. I work 40-60 hours a week and don't have trouble sleeping but the late night thing is over. As far as cruising forums, this one is the extent of my online presence and when I'm busy I don't even look in here.

• Like 1

I turned 50 in November. I have always worked a lot of hours.  I generally work 56 a week now and off 2 days. I have no trouble going to sleep, staying asleep that's where it changes. I'm usually up a few times, get back to sleep pretty quick most times. I can never sleep late, not even when I try hard. 25yrs of getting up at 4am has done something to me. 

For most of my life I haven't been a morning person.  Anymore I like to get up, have some coffee, make the family " Big Daddy Breakfast" as they call it. Listen to some Waylon,  Bill Monroe or Wayne the train Hancock as I cook. Or maybe just "Barter Time" or talk radio  on the old AM tube radio.  When I was young I could have slept for days if left alone. No way now!