How to keep running board painted??

Dodgeed

46 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Mark;

You appear to have taken my observations as a personal attack on yourself. It is not. Please continue to do as you wish with your trucks.

And pardon me for expressing my dismay about not using running boards for the actual purpose they were made for. What was I thinking?

Jeff

the bolded words said it all Jeff.

My next truck will get used, but not everyone wants to do that all the time so hence the reply.  The OP had a serious and valid question and people gave options based on that. but don't get upset if people don't want to mark up running boards.

20 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

In the Navair....Naval Aviation we called it walkway compound and it was the precurser to commercial bed liner

Look at the black strip on the wing near the fuselage, fuel probe, and the tail fins of the drop tank, it is basically a real gritty bed liner....so much of it got stolen by sailors in the late 70s and early 80s to protect pickup beds it spawned a niche in the aftermarket for trucks....lol.

TA-4J_Orange-00.jpg

Slang word for it was non skid, we thinned it with MEK or Naptha Alphatic......nasty stuff along with the Imron we were spraying, suprised I can still breathe with all those ISOs in the air.

Interesting history.  A fixed wing private pilot buddy of mine got Wing Walk from one of the small airplane repair shops where he worked and gave it to me.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion about how to treat running boards..... either like a cream puff, or a step to get into the cab. I honestly appreciate both approaches. My truck was restored to show room condition by a previous owner, and I like it like that. I won't be hauling farm supplies or animals in it (certain friends may be considered); but I also won't be entering it into shows. I just like to drive it around and greatly appreciate its appearance. But, I also admire those who continued to use them as a truck, with all that implies, even though they are 60 years old, or older. Different tastes is all. 

BTW, thanks to all who responded w/tips on running board treatments. I appreciate all the ideas. ?

• Like 2

Believe it or not, I drive my 1945 half-ton once a week, the tires get dirty and worn, so if there is rain everything gets wet, and when I get in and out I step (carefully) on the running boards!  The truck is developing its own patina.  Regarding the running boards,  I try to park on surfaces that are NOT like loose gravel or sand, to keep my shoes clean;  Also I am careful not to twist or rotate my shoes on the running board, so wear is minimal.  Just my way of keeping this old thing pretty good, but not perfect.

• Like 1