Shift slector seal 3 speed transmission

randy48

I have a 1948 Plymouth special deluxe convertible I am trying to repair gasket from transmission to bellhousing and noticed that the seal on shifter linkage/shaft is leaking I would like to change it also but can not find a number for it or anyone that can tell me. the manual I have only says seal my question is has anyone changed one and is it a rubber o ring  or is it a seal and if you know a seal number . I do not want to pull it without having one to replace it as it is only a drip it is a standard 3 speed any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance 

20190123_235449.jpg

• 1 year later...

On my 52 Cranbrook, the top lever took a regular O ring I matched up from a selection down to my son in laws farm. The side lever takes a square cut O ring width = .103, ID= .424, OD= .630. I found an X cut O ring on eBay and ordered it, should be here this week.

Got my "X" cut "O" ring today from Clearwater Hydraulics for the lower shift shaft seal. Fabricated a piece of plastic pen as a guide to slide the seal over the end of the shaft. Fits good. Back in the day of racing dirt bikes, "O" ring chains were the nuts, then they came out with "X" cut "O" ring chains, they were even better. Hope this is the case with this shift shaft.