Exhaust manifold gaskets replace

slingshot2u

1. Disconnect and remove carburetor... set aside.

2. Remove all 13 manifold nuts from the studs. (you may want to drain the coolant first as often times one or more studs will come out of the block and coolant will follow)

3. Remove manifolds as a set

4. Clean all surfaces and install new gaskets onto the studs.

5. Reassemble in reverse order, tightening the nuts from middle - out

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

1. Disconnect and remove carburetor... set aside.

2. Remove all 13 manifold nuts from the studs. (you may want to drain the coolant first as often times one or more studs will come out of the block and coolant will follow)

3. Remove manifolds as a set

4. Clean all surfaces and install new gaskets onto the studs.

5. Reassemble in reverse order, tightening the nuts from middle - out

Great answer!   Regarding step 2:  If a stud comes out, be sure to use a sealant on the block end threads when reinstalling

• 1 month later...

You may also want to put an anaerobic sealer on the studs before you screw them back into the block. My car is affectionately(not) know as the sprinkler due to its propensity to leak passed the myriad bolts that go into the water jackets. That was my lesson learned when I did my motor.

And go back a few times and be sure the bolts are tight. I had to re-check mine about 5 times to make sure they stayed secure  Napa has a very good sealer specfically for bolts going into water jackets.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook