Explorer e-brake

martin53

depends on what you got with your rear axle, if you have but short stub cable with the locking slugs attached your job will be easier by going back to the donor or wrecking yard to get correct hardware to clip this all together...if however like many junkyard axles, they cut these cable with the hot wrench...if this is the case...you will need to install new cables to the backing plate.   A bit more of just what you have and the common tie point will help some for information.

53 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

depends on what you got with your rear axle, if you have but short stub cable with the locking slugs attached your job will be easier by going back to the donor or wrecking yard to get correct hardware to clip this all together...if however like many junkyard axles, they cut these cable with the hot wrench...if this is the case...you will need to install new cables to the backing plate.   A bit more of just what you have and the common tie point will help some for information.

The cables are still there and I have some of the hardware minus the factory bracket that was welded to the frame.

in some cases, especially the later style, the floating cable to the right rear only works in conjunction with the factory mount that is welded to the frame and you need this tie connector so that the single pull cable will first lock the left wheel and then continued pull locks the right...this set up I have found to be the very easiest to tie into the existing hand brake lever and cable.  In the case of the Dakota, the later Dakota cable is a bolt on at the hand control itself making everything including forward cable locks easy to install and ensure an ridged setup.  I am not sure if the explorer has this floating cable set up but if it does, the bracket is what makes it all work from a single tie point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

in some cases, especially the later style, the floating cable to the right rear only works in conjunction with the factory mount that is welded to the frame and you need this tie connector so that the single pull cable will first lock the left wheel and then continued pull locks the right...this set up I have found to be the very easiest to tie into the existing hand brake lever and cable.  In the case of the Dakota, the later Dakota cable is a bolt on at the hand control itself making everything including forward cable locks easy to install and ensure an ridged setup.  I am not sure if the explorer has this floating cable set up but if it does, the bracket is what makes it all work from a single tie point.

Thanks I'll try to look for a stock bracket or Fab one up.

Not sure what year the Coronet is but as discussed here before the emergency brake handle on the old Plymouths don't have enough travel to actuate the brakes on an Explorer rearend.  I installed a bellcrank setup on my 46...