Identify this motor cycle

pflaming

9 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

I had a bone stock first year fatboy for a little while and currently drive an ‘09 road king classic. Hell of a machine, pretty, fast, reliable, I’d trade it for a stock panhead in a second

Bet you would!

Makes it easy to see why. The stock Pan is most likely worth 3+ times ( restored stock) what a '09 road king is, not even looking at rarity of the Pans these days.  ?

DJ

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

the old Harleys and chebbys have a bit in common.....when they not leaking...that only means they are too low on oil 

Fine vehicles all around..  I'm not brand loyal, at least up to a point. My Econoline has 200k on it with only oil changes and tires but it's just transportation. OTOH I doubt I could put 200k on my P15 without replacing everything on it once or twice.. And it leaks a little oil, too!!  ?

13 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

80 inches (1340) in 1980. Before that it was the 1200 (74”)

I remember the ads when the 80" motor came out. "Put six more inches between your legs!"

I have a '69 FLH with a stock 74" motor and a '70 FLH with 80" bore, 4-1/2" S&S flywheels and a B grind cam. In some ways I like the 74" better. It has enough power and seems a little less stressed going down the road. Kicks easier, too. Maybe I just push the bigger motor harder.

Looking at it critically, this is one of the best motorcycles I've ever owned. Not the most exciting but dependable and super easy to work on. 

850 T3.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Todd B said:

I am extremely brand loyal, anything but a Ford 

I useta feel the same way. I was a Chevy guy for decades. I still am, but I have Fords and MoPars, too. ?  I've put a lot of miles on all of them. Some were good vehicles and some weren't. I eventually decided that one brand isn't really better than the other,  just different. They all have their share of duds..

I started out with Ford, I bought my first new truck when I was 20 years old, a 1987 full size Bronco, then a 1988 cab and half  work truck, then a 1991 Explorer for my wife. The explorer was a huge lemon, was in the shop more than in my garage. We put up with it for 11,000 miles and I wanted to trade it for a Winstar. The Ford dealer said and I quote I will buy back my problems. He gave me a price for trade and I thought it seemed high. I went  7 mile down the road to a Dodge dealer and told him all the problems I was having with the explorer, I kept no secrets with him.  The dodge dealer gave me a trade-in price on a new Caravan at the time there was approximately $5000 difference on the trade in price comparing sticker price numbers compared to the Ford dealer. I went back to my Ford dealer and asked  him if he possibly made an error on figuring out the price of the trade. His reply was, it looks like you’ll be buying a Dodge now doesn’t it.  I have bought 19 new vehicles since then and my kids are now buying new Dodges. I am extremely bitter towards Fords and my brother in law always reminds me that I don’t dislike Fords, I dislike the Ford dealer.  He is actually right but I still will never have a Ford in my yard. 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

the old Harleys and chebbys have a bit in common.....when they not leaking...that only means they are too low on oil to drip.....

As Mater says: "If there ain't no oil under em there ain't no oil in em."

• Haha 1

I'm not sure I remember the first car I bought but I think it was a '58 Ford two door sedan, 223 six with an automatic. I paid $100-150 for it. It was a nice car and I don't recall having too many problems with it. I traded cars a lot back then. I bought a new Chevy pickup in '78. It had all the Chevy issues of the era, cam developed a flat lobe about 70k, body rusted out before it should have. Then again I bought a 1965 Mustang in 1970 with rusty quarters and lower front fenders. Everything rusted worse back then.

Fast forward a decade or two and in '96 I bought a '94 Explorer. When I gave it to the kid it had around 350k on it. The transmission finally gave out at about 400k. It's still in my junkyard and the 4.0 pushrod motor still runs. I'm thinking about using the rear end in my P15.

My wife drove a '98 Windstar for a few years. Bought it with 40k or so on it, got rid of it with a leaky head gasket and weird electrical issues at about 200k. Then she had a Honda for a while. She liked the Windstar so next was a spanky new 2008 Grand Caravan which was a great driver but a real piece of junk. Front rotors were toast at 25k, CV joints clicking at less than 50k, transmission stopped working just shy of 125k. It was gone by 2011 and she's been driving Hondas since then. I don't get involved with her cars too much but the Hondas have been pretty much trouble free but she usually gets rid of them by the time they get to 50-60k.

I've owned a lot of vehicles of many makes in my life and like I said, you can get a dud in anything. 

And if you were to prove to me that before you start any engine ANYTIME you check the oil.....I'll gladly draft a letter to Disney to get more correct in their cartoons....:lol:  Ford stated point blank to any customer with a oil consumption problem that 500 miles per quart of oil is not only common but well within their tolerance and acceptance level....

On 2/12/2019 at 2:40 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

start any engine ANYTIME you check the oil

You kiddin'? I wouldn't check the oil if I didn't intend to start it.. ? But I get it. I'm pretty good about checking oil in my motorcycles and lawnmowers. Back in the old days I checked the oil in whatever I was driving every day. I've never checked the oil in my Bruce Berry van. If it was using a quart every 500 miles it would be 10 quarts low when I take it in for service. Then again they don't check the oil before they change it, only after. The van's about 2.5 k from it's last oil change. I was gonna check it yesterday but that darn dipstick is way down in there so I just gave it a pass. Hang on a minute, I'll go out and check it.....It's now 17:12 on 2-13-19.

Insert Jeapordy music here... 

17:21

Had to give the horse a carrot while I was outside. As suspected, the van is still full of oil.. Not bad for a 200k mile 2014 Econoline, huh?? 

Edited by MackTheFinger
content

If you have been following the motorcycle market you will agree as stated above it is flooded with good used low mile bikes.  Not as many people buying bikes as their were 5, 10 or 15yrs ago. The younger generation doesn't seem to be interested in bikes. The older motorcycle enthusiast and collectors are gradually fading out.  Harley has seen this trend coming for some time, hence all the new models they have been offering over the last few years trying to catch the eye of the younger crowd.  I don't think its helping. I've heard of kids not even interested in getting their driver license, we all know what that meant to us.  The world has changed.  I'm going to predict that the high prices that the old Knuckles and Pans have commanded for years are going to soften. I also think old cars will follow suit. If you go to swap meets, junk yards or estate sales its mostly old fossils just like me. I don't think  following is  going to be there in the future.  I see too many signs of it now.  

13 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

If you have been following the motorcycle market you will agree as stated above it is flooded with good used low mile bikes.  Not as many people buying bikes as their were 5, 10 or 15yrs ago. The younger generation doesn't seem to be interested in bikes. The older motorcycle enthusiast and collectors are gradually fading out.  Harley has seen this trend coming for some time, hence all the new models they have been offering over the last few years trying to catch the eye of the younger crowd.  I don't think its helping. I've heard of kids not even interested in getting their driver license, we all know what that meant to us.  The world has changed.  I'm going to predict that the high prices that the old Knuckles and Pans have commanded for years are going to soften. I also think old cars will follow suit. If you go to swap meets, junk yards or estate sales its mostly old fossils just like me. I don't think  following is  going to be there in the future.  I see too many signs of it now.  

Harley did it to themselves. For years there were very few dealerships that had more than a couple of bikes on the floor. Now every one of them has 400 or more. Overproduction, easy credit, video games, internet and air conditioning keeping the younger generation in the house, all of it plays into it. 

Okay, not all the younger generation... Just most of them..?

I'm going to a few auctions in the next month or so. I sure hope prices are going down!! 

41 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Harley did it to themselves. For years there were very few dealerships that had more than a couple of bikes on the floor. Now every one of them has 400 or more. Overproduction, easy credit, video games, internet and air conditioning keeping the younger generation in the house, all of it plays into it. 

Okay, not all the younger generation... Just most of them..?

I'm going to a few auctions in the next month or so. I sure hope prices are going down!! 

I wish ya luck ole buddy. I'd like to have an 80" ULH flathead myself. Maybe some day. 

10 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I wish ya luck ole buddy. I'd like to have an 80" ULH flathead myself. Maybe some day. 

They're out there but they're not affordable, at least not for me. About the most I've accomplished at the auctions is driving the prices up. Sucks being a poor boy.

I ran across this one a while back. Guy was asking $12k but it was leaking oil so I really wasn't interested.. ?

Pan.jpg

Yeah, he had the original tanks and speedo but otherwise it's what you see. He was asking $12k for it or $12k for that '06 something or other that's in the pic behind it. I almost offered him $12k for the pair but I didn't want to end up looking like a jack-o-lantern. 

Ditto on the barn dust. Dig this.. You Tennessee boys have a sense of humor I can relate to!! ?

https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/crittenden-barn-find/6806218489.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yea I've seen the barn dust for sale a few times on craigslist and Facebook market place.  I thought it was pretty funny, kinda like when they sell the smoke for the Lucas electrical systems. I've seen them post a pile of cow chit and list it as a barn find.  If you really need some I can hook you up but use it sparingly, too much could throw you into another tax bracket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going with the original title here I will add a cool bike that is not mine but one I always considered one of the coolest. I removed the name from the tank in the picture but if you would like to read about it I will attached a link to provide the info. 

xxxxx motorcycle.jpg

• Like 1

And as promised the link for those interested with more pictures of the traditional "American Made Motorcycle" as it would have come from the factory. 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23804/lot/223/

If you read through the article they mention Mr. Jim Gallagher and his bike #22. Jim was a friend and fellow collector who pass just a few years back short of Centurion status who loved restoring and driving the old 30s cars and motorcycles. "Wheels Through Time Museum" purchased most of his bikes.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, Veemoney said:

And as promised the link for those interested with more pictures of the traditional "American Made Motorcycle" as it would have come from the factory. 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23804/lot/223/

If you read through the article they mention Mr. Jim Gallagher and his bike #22. Jim was a friend and fellow collector who pass just a few years back short of Centurion status who loved restoring and driving the old 30s cars and motorcycles. "Wheels Through Time Museum" purchased most of his bikes.

My Son Max and I have been to Wheels through Time  many times.  Its not far from where we live and a must see if you love vintage bikes.  Max  and his friends rode over last year to an open house event that they had. We have met Dale Walksler a few times and Dale is a great guy. Now Max's favorite vintage bike is a Crocker. The day they were there Dale fired up a Crocker.  Max had gravitated around this bike anyway and was close when this happened. Dale saw how excited this made  him and grabbed his hand and put it on the throttle and told him "rev it up".  Max gently cracked the throttle as one might with a vintage bike of that age and caliber. Dale then put his hand on Max's and rolled it back a few times, really turning it up. This really rocked his world.  I had to work that day, he called and was really wound up about his experience.  I had a video but lost it when my old phone crashed,  Max may still have it. Seeing your post prompted me to share. 

• Like 1