Identify this motor cycle

pflaming

It is a Harley Davidson "knucklehead" and was made from 1936 to 1947.  That engine replaced the flathead engine.  

The front end has a "springer" suspension and the putt is euphemistically called a "bobber" .

Edited by lonejacklarry

What I noticed and liked is the original "tractor seat" that appears to still have the "Pogo stick" under it. That is the steel support post under the seat which sits on a spring to give up/down movement since there is no rear suspension on the original type rigid frame.

Info added for non motorcycle lovers.  ☹️?

DJ

On 2/4/2019 at 9:24 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

similar in design to the first one you pictured but with a bit of reliability built into it..

I don't know that that's entirely true but in the real world you'd have a hard time unloading the 440 Kawa for $500 and the knuckle would part out for $15-20k. 

• Like 1

I was wondering who would rise to the challenge...….lol     

As stated, both build on the same theme....I made my post not just to yank a chain, but voice an opinion.  As for cost....you could not give me either let alone ask  me to pay for it though I truly know the difference in cost one compared to the others.....but that is just myself.  I like the traditional bike as built by the factory...and many makers now sell a factory rendition of the bobber....my son just bought a 2018 Fury.....it is in basic flat black paint...he is at a loss to understand why I do not like it also.   Makes him mad when I say for the money he could have gotten a real motorcycle.  I have ridden the bike, still stand  behind my evaluation that a traditional bike truly rides better.  I have but one bike left in the stable, it is set aside for a revival to its former glory...a 1983 CB1000 Custom 10 Speed......I will offend many here but we have to live within the agree to disagree, the bobber is a rat class bike in my book...a mini bike on steroids I guess....just frame seat wheels and engine...and a out of proportion fuel tank...both bikes pictured above are in my opinion totally unfinished in both build and cosmetics...but I agree, it is what the  owners wanted his bike to look like....kinda on the line why we so see so many cars finished in primer black....the cost to finish if you do not do your own paint is astronomical these days...I cannot for the life of me understand the rat builders....but as stated, if that is what they want...go for it, don't expect any praise for me for your efforts....

On 2/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, MackTheFinger said:

It was a 440 Kawasaki. After running into the back of a car or two they'll wish they had front brakes.

Looks like a big ol' disc brake hangin' off the left side up front...to me.

1 hour ago, BigDaddyO said:

Looks like a big ol' disc brake hangin' off the left side up front...to me.

It  appears as though in the photo the required  linkage is missing? 

If you are referring to post #5, yes it is. He was broke down middle of Kansas his wife from Lincoln NE was bringing parts. He was in a cross country race from Long Beach CA to Boston, MA. 

Just now, Veemoney said:

Not a drop of oil under any of them? ?

Yeah, it's hard to believe there isn't a spot under the knuck.. Evos don't leak and the breather, which mostly accounts for earlier H-D's leaving a spot, is generally vented back to the intake newer bikes. I have two late model Harleys that are leak free. Earlier ones not so much. On anything earlier most of us just dump it onto the ground. A little oil leak isn't the end of the world anyway. ?

77 Triumph 750cc jubilee hardtail chopper with a 90s sportbike front end (awesome brakes)

79 r100 1000cc bmw cafe. I made the tail out of a honda tank and some trailer lenses.

1980 1340 shovelhead with 3” open primary, jockey shift, ported dual plug heads, 9.5:1 pistons, A grind cam, sportbike brakes, 2000+ bars controls and running boards, softail tanks.

1991 1340 evo softail custom I bought wrecked and rebuilt then got T-boned on the day after this pic