Flathead 6 Head Identification

36 Dodge

Iam new to site and want to Compliment everyone for the great info that is on this site.

I have an older gentlemen that is starting to put my flathead together.

I have sent the block out to get machined. I have 2 different heads. 

1- has the casting # 1613005-2 ( Think this is from a 55-57)and the other has the casting 952083-3.

Iam trying to figure which head I should send out to get shaved?

Iam using a block from a 1957 dodge power wagon. (T137 serial)

Going with 60 over, dual E&S aluminum intake with 2 -1 barrel ball and ball carbs and reds headers.

Could  someone advise me which would be the better head to use and what year they are from?

Thanks for your time

Jerry

the bad part  here is the questionable condition of the parts you have on hand.  Only by performing a CC'ing of the head chambers now will you know if the head is purely stock or if it has been shaved in the past.  There are a number of things to consider and only know what you have now can you make a decision on how to proceed further.  A bit of math is in your future...I also would verify the valve clearance...you did not mention a cam change but with the build it would be fruitless if you did not...often grinders will give you a higher lift over stock..this must be considered.  

This may not be much use but my 2 Oz cents worth is have you compared the 2 heads, that is, compared the combustion chamber sizes, shape, depth etc, also the thickness of the heads to each other........my gut feeling would be unless you have a definate answer regarding what the heads are from then the one that offers the smaller chamber and in theory a higher combustion ratio would be the one to use as its normally more squeeze equals more power........do you have any recognised engine builders that have experience with hotting up engines rather than just a straight engine builder, who, don't get me wrong maybe very experienced and thorough but have you asked your engine builder his comments on which head to use?................BTW..........Welcome aboard from OZ..........Andy Douglas 

To add to what Tim and Andy said, you may also want to check to be sure the heads match the block at the front. If the block has the internal thermostat bypass port you will need a head with the bump on the front, with a matching port. If you block does not have the internal bypass port, you could use either head, as long as you have a head gasket to match the head.