1946 Dodge hand brake

brooklynbeer

Ok, can someone tell me if I have this correct.  Changed out the hand brake in my 46 Dodge after changing leaky rear main.  The pictures I took prior to dismantling did not come out so went from manual and memory.  Looking at shop manual drawings I have it correct but it is not coming together like it came off. The lower spring is really compressed while the upper is barely touching. Plus I only have maybe 4 threads on the nut with the T bolt.   It came off with 10 threads showing easily. What did I forget to do?  It also feels snug on the drum but will turn.

20190120_125541 copy.jpg

Edited by brooklynbeer

This may help:

HAND BRAKE ADJUSTMENT

Hand brake adjustments can be made underneath
the car as follows:

1. Set the hand lever in the fully released position.
2. Remove wire lock from anchor screw head
and adjust screw, 2, Fig. 84, so that the band
and drum have .015" to .020" clearance.
3. Lock the anchor adjusting screw by wiring
the screw to anchor securely.
4. Turn the guide bolt adjusting nut (1) after
loosening lock nut, until the band and drum
have .015" to .020" clearance.
5. Lock the guide bolt in place with the lock nut.
6. Turn the large adjusting bolt nut (3) until
the clearance at the upper half of the band
and drum is .015" to .020".
CAUTION: The groove in the bottom of the
adjusting bolt nut must line up with the
ridge on the lockwasher when proper setting
is obtained. 7. Lubricate all frictional surfaces of the brake
control linkage and anchor bolts with engine
oil.
Free play between the side of the anchor
bracket on the center of the band and the anchor
must not be more than .005", otherwise band
distortion may result upon brake application.
This free play, if excessive, may be reduced by
compressing the saddle in a vise or tapping
gently with a hammer against a block or anvil.

Capture.JPG

Thank you for the pic and the info.  I guess I have it put together correctly except the repo part has a smaller diameter  causing unbalanced spring compression.  The nut on the bottom of the bolt I am only able to get 3 threads on and it has the spring almost totally compressed. 

Turns out, they sent the wrong one.

Edited by brooklynbeer

4 hours ago, brooklynbeer said:

Thank you for the pic and the info.  I guess I have it put together correctly except the repo part has a smaller diameter  causing unbalanced spring compression.  The nut on the bottom of the bolt I am only able to get 3 threads on and it has the spring almost totally compressed. 

Turns out, they sent the wrong one.

Bernbaum is good at sending the wrong parts. I received the wrong brake shoes last year for the rear of my Meadowbrook, and that wasn't the first time they sent the wrong stuff.  makes you wonder who's in the warehouse putting things in boxes

Edited by Worden18

It is just one of the things we have to learn to have patience with I guess.  It is everywhere these days. At least we have a ready source for parts with these cars. I just hate wasting two hours wondering what I did wrong, checking and double checking, removing and installing, and getting frustrated only to find out it wasn't me !  The trans, clutch, bushing, mains and bearings is my first big job on this car and he has been really good so far with parts. Maybe just maybe I can get the trans back in the car this weekend !

• Like 1

In Bernbaums defence I've just had some front suspension rebound rubbers sent, a pair of uppers and lowers...............ordered on 8th January, arrived 17th January........10000 miles to Oz in a week and 2 days.........right parts, packed well............maybe I get better service because of my name....................lol.............Andy Douglas