Plymouth P7/P8 - Farewell

likaleica

Not visited the forum for a while - as a change in personal circumstances led me to sell my lovely old 1939 RHD Plymouth Touring Sedan. Happily it has gone to a good home - an avid collector living in Hong Kong where they drive "on the wrong side of the road" as we do here in the UK.

I wanted to say what an absolute pleasure it has been to be a member of this forum over the past four years. The generosity, kindness and cameraderie in sharing priceless technical knowledge and experience has often left me speechless.  I'll miss this friendship greatly - and I thank you all for it with the utmost sincerity.

I have one final request for help please.  Sorting through my small box of leftover Plymouth bits I found some 1938-48 trunk/ignition key blanks that I'm eBaying over here. But there are also two brass Yale key blanks that I can't identify. If anyone can tell from the images I've posted I'd be most grateful - as someone may be glad of them.  Thanks fellas.    

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

Edited by likaleica
Added image

Looks like blanks for plain old house keys.  Yale manufactures locks mainly for household, office, and industrial use, on this side of the pond, anyway.  They also make big padlocks.  Haven't had to look for house key blanks for quite some time, so I couldn't say if those are common or not.

• Like 1

Thanks Dan. They came with a batch of Chrysler keys so I thought they might be for an automobile.... 

Hello, I have a 1941 Plymouth with Yale keys. Ignition switch lock, door lock, and trunk lock cylinders were replaced by previous owner 30+ years ago due to lost keys . Door and ignition use same key , trunk is different and all have Yale on them. 

Do not see any stamped in numbers which seems to make them almost impossible to ID.

Most blank keys that I have seen do have some numbers, So ??

Sorry no help. To bad about the sale of your car but life can change priorities

Best to ya'  Mate!

DJ.

Hi,

Small world, tell the new owner he is not the only one in Hong Kong, we have a 1950 Special Deluxe (D25C) in the workshop now, freshening up the engine, AC, electric power steering, electric fuel pump and 100A alternator and a few other items to make it user friendly in a crowded city enviroment.

Tom

12 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Do not see any stamped in numbers which seems to make them almost impossible to ID.

Most blank keys that I have seen do have some numbers, So ??

Sorry no help. To bad about the sale of your car but life can change priorities

Best to ya'  Mate!

DJ.

Yes that's true DJ but interestingly my other Yale key blanks stamped Plymouth on the rear side don't have any numbers either......

1 hour ago, Tom973 said:

Hi,

Small world, tell the new owner he is not the only one in Hong Kong, we have a 1950 Special Deluxe (D25C) in the workshop now, freshening up the engine, AC, electric power steering, electric fuel pump and 100A alternator and a few other items to make it user friendly in a crowded city enviroment.

Tom

Very interesting ! I reckon he would benefit from several of those mods.......

That key looks like an Ilco XO1199b. It would be used for my 48 Plymouth door key. It fits the ignition also, but the hex shape is used there. The Ilco hex number is X1199B.

Many thanks - this does make sense as the keys were bought as Plymouth/Chrysler items in a small job lot from a dealer in the US

looks like the exact blank to the trunk key for my 51 plymouth. Cut by by AAA lock in AZ  circa 1963

keys.jpg

Edited by LazyK
edit photo for size