Newport wiper motor/ using the original switch

Thomba48

A question from a friend of mine:

He is interested in the Newport wiper engine offering , but does not like the look of the switch. Wich I clearly understand ? So, has anyone ever tried to use the original switch instead.

He is interested in any advice.

thanks/ thom

Thom,

I installed the Newport wiper motor last winter in my P15, however, I can't remember if I even tried to maintain the original knob. As soon as I get a little time to look, I'll see if it will work.

Ron

• Thanks 1

Thomba.........dunno if this is any help but I installed a cable operated wiper from a pommy car 30 yrs ago.........these cable wiper setups can literally be mounted anywhere, mines between the glove box and cowl on the Oz passenger side, it bolts onto a bracket off the cowl bracing area, the cable goes across under the cowl between the cowl vent and the reinforcing brace where the dash is held onto, the "gearbox" that these cables bolt onto can be used as is for a "wave your hands" wiper or have one of the gearboxes "inverted" which gives a "clap your hands" wipers and curve the cable down or up to engage the gear drive.............I have used a straight on/off switch which mounts under the dash and is purely an on/off single speed switch although it would be possible to wire the wiper thru a late model 2 speed or variable speed switch..........I was lazy and just used the original switch with 12 volts thru it, works fine...............dunno if any of this helps...............andyd

Edited by Andydodge

I have a Newport wiper on my '46 Oldsmobile. The knob screws onto a 3/16" shaft with a flat spot. You could get in touch with the company and see the size of the shaft for your application and see if your present knob will fit.

18 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I have a Newport wiper on my '46 Oldsmobile. The knob screws onto a 3/16" shaft with a flat spot. You could get in touch with the company and see the size of the shaft for your application and see if your present knob will fit.

Thanks

I have the Newport electric wiper conversion on my 1950 Plymouth and I modified the shaft on the Newport switch to use the stock Plymouth knob.  I even kept the switch location in the same awkward location in the center top of the dash!

Rich H

10 minutes ago, rhelm1953 said:

I have the Newport electric wiper conversion on my 1950 Plymouth and I modified the shaft on the Newport switch to use the stock Plymouth knob.  I even kept the switch location in the same awkward location in the center top of the dash!

Rich H

Hi, 

Thanks for coming back to me. Any chance that you could show me how you managed to achieve this. I do not mean the location matter, but the shaft modification. Thanks Thom 

On the 1950 Plymouth the wiper knob is a press fit on the shaft of the switch with a slot in the top of the shaft for a spring to slip into.  The Newport switch had the correct diameter shaft but it was too long and not slotted.  Supporting the shaft in a vise I cut it to length and then cut a slot in the shaft with a fine blade hacksaw.  I then used a jewelers file to finish the slot to the same size as the original switch.  It took maybe 10 minutes and the stock knob just pressed onto the shaft of the new switch.

• Like 3