1946 Dodge transmission rear main seal

brooklynbeer

Need to replace the transmission rear main seal so I can get the hand brake to function properly and not oil soak the replacement band.  Is there a thread or instructional out there I can follow?   Search turned up nothing. I have the nut removed and the star washer but stopped there pending some guidance

2 hours ago, brooklynbeer said:

Need to replace the transmission rear main seal so I can get the hand brake to function properly and not oil soak the replacement band.  Is there a thread or instructional out there I can follow?   Search turned up nothing. I have the nut removed and the star washer but stopped there pending some guidance

Check your motors manual for a detailed step by step procedure that includes photos.

You DO have a Motors Auto Repair Manual that covers the year 1948,right?

no.  But I was able to pull up the manual from 46 that explained everything but the seal removal. Once I knew I would not bend anything by using a puller on the brake drum  I just popped the main seal out with two hammered in screwdrivers and then used the old one to set the new one.  Now onto removing the front bearing and replacing !

Edited by brooklynbeer