Scammed today

pflaming

Person wanted to have a USA friend send ne a certified check to close the sale, for him to send the check, of course, he needed some "information ". I replied that his payment method was too complicated and that I will only accept USA cash when the item is picked up. No follow up from him. 

You sure didn't help that person out! Shame on you?

• Haha 2

Good catch!  I like the one where they say their secretary (or whoever) made a mistake and sent you a check for way too much, but they really want the item and will be kind and considerate and need your banking info to let themselves recover the overage amount.  Then they get mad at you for not being kind in return and refusing to deal with them any longer...  I don't have much worth selling, but when we do decide to sell something off, it's cash-in-hand only.  Far too many scams out there. 

Years ago, a caller from Florida said I had jus won a 44' RV Bus. To get it he needed . . . , I responded, where is it and where iare the keys? Well, he said I need. . . I replied, woul know where my RV is and I want to pick it up,  "Well, he came back. . ." So I cut in. "You called ME, and said I had won an RV and I WANT to know where it is, so if you won't tell me, then you are a thief ". What he called me just before he hung up I won't print. 

I got a call last night on the "unlisted house phone #"  with Col Oliver North wanting to deliver a message from an organization I belonged to years ago.  1st guy started rattling off about the message, played it, then another guy got on the line.  When I asked what happened to 1st guy, he said it's an automated call system,  I responded great, get in your automated system and remove my unlisted number from your system now.  He then said he couldn't see my number, so I said you need to figure it out and pull this number NOW!  Surprisingly he found it and deleted it......

Just tired of getting scam calls on a phone number that I've never given out to anyone but family.

CO54......I think he forwarded your # and hundreds more to another group of scammers for $$$.

They never delete your number if you ask them!

• Haha 1

If they weren't simply crooks, I'd admire their perseverance, if only they'd apply that moxie to honest endeavors.  When we still lived in western NY we had someone reply to something my wife was trying to sell off - One of the scams I mentioned before - the guy kept it up for almost two weeks, even after we told him multiple times we were onto his scam.  You can lead them on to waste their time as much as you care, just don't give them any info.  Amazing how long you can drag their scheme out, as long as you have some patience and moxie yourself  :cool: 

10 hours ago, CO54 said:

. . .

Just tired of getting scam calls on a phone number that I've never given out to anyone but family.

Because I'm frugal and fairly technically adept, I moved our "land line" to Voice Over IP (VoIP) many years ago. Our house phone bill averages about $6/mo which is cheaper than the $20/mo AT&T were getting from from us ten years ago before we switched.

One of the benefits of the VoIP provider I use is that they have "call treatments" I can setup.  It would make it trivial to arrange things so only people in my address book can actually call the number. I don't actually go that far, but if you are not in my address book you will get what my provider calls a "telemarketer block": You get a voice prompt to dial a number to continue. Turns out the automated dialers don't (yet) know how to listen to and follow instructions so they don't get through.

12 hours ago, TodFitch said:

Because I'm frugal and fairly technically adept, I moved our "land line" to Voice Over IP (VoIP) many years ago. Our house phone bill averages about $6/mo which is cheaper than the $20/mo AT&T were getting from from us ten years ago before we switched.

One of the benefits of the VoIP provider I use is that they have "call treatments" I can setup.  It would make it trivial to arrange things so only people in my address book can actually call the number. I don't actually go that far, but if you are not in my address book you will get what my provider calls a "telemarketer block": You get a voice prompt to dial a number to continue. Turns out the automated dialers don't (yet) know how to listen to and follow instructions so they don't get through.

We're pretty frugal too, only reason I added the house number was because our internet provider was through DSL, and it was cheaper to have a phone/internet bundle than having internet alone.  Don't ask me but that's how it worked.  We made it last night without any scam calls, I think the wife gets the majority through the day, and she surely isn't as nice I am with them.  LOL.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, CO54 said:

Most of those auto dialers just dial every number possible in sequence starting from one number input by the scammers.  Unlisted, no call list, never mind, just dial anyway.  But, they can skip numbers if programmed to do so.